2014 Hardy Hibiscus and Squirrels

Tipp City, OH(Zone 5b)

Busy summer with serious family health issues, but my hardy hibiscus are surrounding my back yard with beautiful blooms with absolutely no effort on my part. What a blessing! Though we had a harsh winter that killed the roses and butterfly bushes back to the ground, the hibiscus did not seem affected at all. So last evening, I looked out and there sat a squirrel chomping away on a pink hibiscus flower! I could understand them eating the seeds, but never thought they would like the flowers. Like a big pink salad! We have so many blooms, it's not a problem - just funny! Still can't believe all these came from one clump from my dear aunt twenty some years ago....

Thumbnail by kljflower Thumbnail by kljflower Thumbnail by kljflower Thumbnail by kljflower Thumbnail by kljflower
Fabens, TX(Zone 8a)

Beautiful. I hope the squirrels don't see mine. The critters have take over the country around here.

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

Your hibiscus are beautiful , I have the pink and the white with a pink in the center . It's such a joy to see them bloom , the squirrel have not got to mine as yet . Hope not , keep him your way . (Laugh)

West Babylon, NY(Zone 7a)

I know tortoises love hibiscus flowers and the sweet nectar. I swear I heard somewhere people eat the flowers, I think it was on the show "bizarre foods".

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.