plumeria cuttings

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

Will trade cuttings of my Plumeria for your cuttings of Plumeria. Contact me via D-Mail.

Thumbnail by drdawg43 Thumbnail by drdawg43 Thumbnail by drdawg43 Thumbnail by drdawg43 Thumbnail by drdawg43
Atlantic Beach, VA

Would you consider trading for other things? I don't have plumeria, but have many, many other things, including amaryllis, gladiolas, paperwhites, Daylilies, etc.

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

I grow (and sell) tropical plants, so that's what I am looking for. Unfortunately, because of space limitations, I grow only a handful of varieties but you can see what I grow by visiting www.tropicalplantsandmore.com. If you grow any of what you see on the site, give me a shout back and we'll talk trade.

Ken

Ocean Springs, MS

Hi, Kirk! If I ever get to Starkville, I'd love to check out your nursery! I travel to Clarksville, TN, about every 2-3 months. I'll be heading there over the Labor Day weekend. If I adjust my route to visit August 29, would you be willing to welcome a visitor? Thanks, Julie

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

I'm Ken, but I have been called much worse........LOL

I would welcome you to visit almost anytime. Friday, August 29, is a good day. A day later would not work though. We open our football season with USM on the 30th. Just be sure to give me a head's up a day or two before coming, and give me an estimated ETA, so that I can be on the lookout for you. Did you know that I lived in Pascagoula 25 years before moving to Starkville in 1995!

I don't have a nursery per se, only GH's. All my plants are outside, flourishing under large oak and cedar trees. I look forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks.

Ken

P. S. By the way, who am I chatting with?

Ocean Springs, MS

Sending you a dmail

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

how do you have the heart to cut on a plumeria? The one and only one I have is now a two branched tall thing, but I have to bring it in to the basement greenhouse in late Fall. I am afraid to cut on it? Any ideas?

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

Debra, never be afraid to take a cutting(s) from your plumeria UNLESS it is a very small one or it is fall/winter. Taking cuttings solves several problems with these plants. Keep in mind that plumeria are trees and with time will get tree-size. How do you move a 10' plant around? You don't. Cuttings control the height and width of these trees. Cutting a branch or branches usually will result in branching at the cut end. This encourages a more dense plant, rather than just having a single "stick". The cuttings can be rooted and thus you will get new plants from the "mother" plant. Do keep in mind that some plumeria root readily, some are more difficult to root, and some are very difficult to root (reds for example).

Cuttings should ideally be taken in the spring/summer months, when they are growing vigorously. When plumeria begins their dormancy, it can be very difficult to root their cuttings.

Contact me via D-Mail if you need more information.

Ken

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Ken,
I would love to take cuttings of some of mine. One is over 10' tall and I take that poor thing to the basement every year, wrap the limbs to take up less space and hang it from the basement ceiling. Every time I have taken cuttings it leaves a hole in the branch where I trim. I know I don't know what I am doing. I'll make some pictures of the stems tomorrow. I have pink, yellow and white. I did have a dark pink/red but don't think it bloomed last year and hasn't bloomed yet this year.

Thumbnail by picabo
Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

When you cut a branch/trunk, you will certainly be left with a "stump". But from that stump new branches will appear. Sometimes I will only get a single branch but often will get 4 and occasional 5 branches. That just gives the plant more density (not if only a single branch grows adjacent to the stump-end).

I am actively cutting some of my plumeria right now and will root those cuttings. Some I will graft. I would like to have new growth appear before I force all my plants into dormancy (not my seedlings) abut if growth doesn't appear, well, those rooted plants go dormant only to re-grow in the spring with new branching.

I am impressed that you can move that 10' tree around. I couldn't get one that large through my double doors. I could store large plants in the garage (if I had the room, which I don't) but after losing almost all my plumeria that were in an unheated garage several years ago, I just won't take a chance to lose them again. All my plumeria - soil-less, water-less, and light-less (those are probably not real words! LOL) - will be stored in large compactor bags and those bags will be in a guest-bedroom closet over the fall and winter months.

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

It always surprises me that the ones I pull out of the ground and clean all dirt from roots, Bag the roots and wrap the branches as tight in a clump as possible will bloom sooner than the ones that I have left in pots in the Greenhouse or basement. The bareroot ones send out leaves and buds much quicker, usually while they are still hanging in the basement. I am outside Nashville zone 6/7.

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

Beautiful Plumerias Ken and picabo! I have 3 that I got as cuttings this Spring. I hope I can keep them alive long enough to see them bloom.

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

Thank you, Nanny, and good luck with yours. I hope you got varieties that bloom early and regularly. Many won't.

Ken

Panama City Beach, FL(Zone 9a)

Ken - I'm a brand new member today - haven't found d-mail yet??? I'll keep looking - I'm willing to trade my yellow/white plumeria, however, it is still in bloom right now (I'm in Panhandle of Florida), not sure I should cut the beast all up just now - it was a pass-along and it's basically a 5' tall stick with two 4' long branches (like a Y) and really needs a good prunning. What do you think? Should we wait till it gets a bit cooler and the leaves fall off??

Natick, MA

Kritter, to email someone just click their name on their post.This will take u to their member page.....and you can click first option on left which is to send them a d mail.

When they answer, you will have a "you have 1 new message" at the top right of the page next to "hello krittergarden" whenever you are on the site.

Welcome to Dave's garden and if you need any help, just ask....or d mail me!

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

Krittergarden, when you log in, there is a bar at the top of the page where your name is. Beside your name is D-mail, just click on that. But you can send anyone a dmail by clicking on their user name in the box to the left of their post. It will take you to a page that has a list of different things you can click on. One says "Send Dmail" to whoever you clicked on. Welcome to DG. It will take a little while to get used to navigating around the site. Just ask anyone here, everyone is so friendly and willing to help. You are gonna love it here! If you need any help just yell!

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

Welcome, Kritter. Your white with yellow center (?) may be the Celadine. That's a great growing/blooming variety but if that's what you have, I have a couple of dozen. Post a picture of the blooms and the plant can be identified.

I would not take cuttings now. It has really gotten too late in the year (where you are) to root cuttings. Take cuttings in the spring/early summer so that the cuttings can be rooted. Also, cutting a foot or two off of the two branches will encourage more branching, producing a more dense, more compact tree.

Ken

my beautiful plumeria is budded and blowing in the 40 mph winds right now, it is dropping down to 37 tonight, we have not brought the big pots in yet, should I cover her with a sheet?

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

If you can (even temporarily) bring the plumeria inside, I would do that. Covering it with a sheet will help, particularly if the wind is blowing hard, creating a colder index.

Ken

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Hi Ken, I got a few Plumeria and Euphorbia milii cuttings...unamed as yet. I don't know if you'd be interested in trading for this one that bloomed for me this summer...LMK

Thumbnail by Mipii

She survived the cold with a sheet, bloom buds still intact, she is about to come inside and down to the basement Garden for the rest of the season. She is just a yellow , but she is the only plumeria I have ever been able to grow from a stick to a tall tree with branches.

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

Robin, that could be the 'Celadine' but I would need a really good close-up of the (edge) leaf pattern to tell for sure. I have lots of the 'Celadine' and kind of specialize in that particular variety.

Ken

Hopefully I can get that close-up for you today, thanks Ken!

Here ya go, is it 'Celadine'?

Thumbnail by Mipii
Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

I believe you have the 'Celadine', one of the fastest rooting, most dependable blooming, and with the fragrance that all other plumeria are judged against. The 'Celadine' makes a great root-stock plant as well.

Wow, thanks for the info. I do enjoy her fragrance and her blooms; however, now I know I'm not a Plumeria rooting whiz, lol.

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

Notice the double edged pattern on this leaf. That's what separates the 'Celadine' from all others. At least that's what my go-to plumeria expert tells me. I really couldn't tell this for sure with your picture. You almost need to use a macro-lens to see it.

You don't want to be cutting and rooting anything now. It is too late in the year for you to be doing this. IF you take cuttings, do it next April-June when rooting them is easiest.

Ken

Thumbnail by drdawg43

Your pic is definitely better, 'cause I'm waiting for Apple to come out with the macro function on my iphone. My Plumeria has the same veining as your pic. I have three rooted cuttings, perhaps I can entice someone that could use 'Celadine' in their collection next spring.

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

I don't use a smart phone, heck, I don't even own a cell phone............LOL

Ken

That means you're not always on-call!

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

Exactly!!!!!!!!!

Quote from klrkkr :
I don't use a smart phone, heck, I don't even own a cell phone............LOL

Ken

Ha! I am glad Joe and I are not the only ones. ;)

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

I thought I was probably the last person on the face of the earth not to ever have a cell phone.........LOL Now I know there are more of us out there. We are kind like a community, huh? A community of dinosaurs!

Ken

Panama City Beach, FL(Zone 9a)

Hi Ken - what can you share about the seed pod from plumeria's - a friend just gave me one this evening - what are success rates of sprouting? technique on planting, etc.,

thanks,

lisa

Nice Krittergarden, you have good friends.

Ken and wife of Joe...dinosaurs are incredibly important to our society. I just happen to be married to a tech geek and got a good push start.

How long are seeds viable? I have some Brads White and haven't tried them yet. Mipii, in this house, I am the tech person.. LOL at least I use a computer, we have never recorded a show or movie on our dvd player. My camera is the best tech he ever got me.. Here is my plumeria. ( last fall) it is budded and inside right now, it is late,.poor thing withstood a pot of sesbaunia as a wind dance partner. it worked pretty well outside. now they are window hogs in the basement garden, with t5 lights for 6 hours and dawn lighting until 8. last year inside..

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

Lisa, I have never had a seed pod. All my plumeria go dormant for 4-5 months and I assume I just don't have a long enough growing season for any to grow pods.

I germinated my first plumeria seeds (ever) last December, and then because I had a little success, I germinated some more in May-June. I probably have 15 seedlings out of 50 + seeds. All the seeds were donated and I don't have a clue how old any of the seeds were.

There are all kinds of germinating techniques. Everyone who germinated them seems to have there favorite way of doing it and swear their technique works. Those seeds in December were put on a single wet paper towel sheet and then covered with another wet sheet. The paper towels were in a Pyrex pan and I covered it with Saran wrap and put the pan on a plant heating mat. I had to re-wet the paper towels every few days. Of the 15-20 seeds there, four sprouted. I lost two simply because I was not careful enough when removing them to pot them. Those other two have now grown into 30" plants.

In May-June, is decided to switch technique and used 100% peat. I lined a couple of orchid baskets with coconut fiber, filled them with wet peat, and slightly buried the seeds. Of the 50 or so seeds, I got 13 to germinate. Again I had the baskets covered with Saran wrap and had them on heating pads. I misted the peat every few days to keep it constantly moist.

As you can tell, I don't know whether one technique is better than another. I don't know whether (only) fresh seeds will germinate, not knowing the age of the seeds.

Ken

Thumbnail by drdawg43 Thumbnail by drdawg43 Thumbnail by drdawg43 Thumbnail by drdawg43

It is like an experiment, I think, and I love to experiment!

They're all beautiful...and grow huge! Thanks for sharing. Thanks for taking the tech leap to include camera's and computers, otherwise I would never have been able to eyeball your prizes.

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

Of course, camera's have been around for over 100 years. Oddly enough, though I still know little about computer science, I love what computers can do for me. I am a retired dentist, and 35 years ago, when there was no such thing as a PC, I actually installed a computer (crude as it was) in my office. A few years later, when there was an actual computer available to do some chores (they all worked off Doss back then), I had to have my own software written for the computer. There was no such thing as off-the-rack software. That was an interesting time. I think I was the first dentist in Mississippi to use a computer. When I sold my dental practice five years ago, I had seven computers in the office, one in every room.

When cell phones came around (they are babies compared to computers, age-wise) I just decided I did not want to be tethered to one. Certainly back then, cell phone addiction was not present, but I think I simply saw the future. I know I would never be addicted to them (it still bugs the h*** out of me when people talk on them in public places) but I still haven't taken that step. One day, perhaps I will.

Ken

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.