Garlic and......?

Spring City, TN

I've got a 4x4 Square Foot Garden that I want to plant with 1/4 garlic and the rest in ______ for over-wintering. Any idea? I've never raised garlic or tried to over-winter anything, so it'll be a treat.

I'm in East Tennessee and we have fairly mild winters -- until it's not. Some winters I need my parka a week or two, the rest of the time it's heavy jackets and thermals, but not mukluks. I actually have mowed in December and again in March. And we've had 10" of heavy wet snow on January 10th, Feb 10th and again on April Fool's in one year. I'm prepared to baby this bed when it's frigid. And since the low tunnel covering it has room for more underneath... I wondered if anyone had suggestions for something to over-winter with garlic (cuz I certainly don't need all 16 squares of garlic, 4 is probably overkill at 9-16 cloves/square foot.)

Appreciate the input.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Do you like kale? It's about the most hardy vegetable I can think of that is not a root vegetable. Russian Red and Siberian kale are very hardy as well as decorative. Daikon and rutabagas are also hardy but I would avoid root vegetables that might compete with the garlic.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Collards! Spinach! Mustards, As greens at 3" they are the best as salad! Kale is a cabbage, but its sometimes prettier. I plant radishes too, but am warmer than Spring City. Lettuces are also our cool weather crops

Fort Lawn, SC

some herbs might do ok. cilantro, parsley, chives, chervil, dill, celery You might not get a full harvest of all of those but probably can get something. I'd try to get some leeks or green onion too. I'm in a similar position here-- I have my garlic and am looking around the yard to see what else I want to tuck in. I don't have a dedicated garden--just mixed up beds wherever I think to plant something.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

I always set green onions left over in the fridge into the ground around Thanksgiving, They stay green until summer and I can use the blades over and over.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.