Planting under trees

Columbia, MO

I need advice about planting azaleas and other shrubs around and under large trees. Is it a good idea? Do trees use up ground water in the winter too? (I know I cannot water in the winter)

Am I foolish to expect my lovely tree shaded garden to support flowering bushes too?

Thx, Viki

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

A complicated question(s) with no easy answer(s). Deciduous trees don't transpire during the winter months, since there are no leaves. But what good does that do your shrubs/flowers? They probably will be dormant (or worse) as well. If they are evergreen trees, well, they will continue to use ground water.

There are many flowering plants that are shade-loving. Some will be perennial and some will be annual. You just have to choose from those that grow well in MO. Most flowering plants do best with a good amount of sun.

Ken

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Do other folks in your area plant azaleas under large trees? If they do then you should be good to go. Big trees do use a lot of water but if you water regularly any newly planted shrubs for the first two years you will often have lots of success. I have more problems with lacecap and mophead hydrangeas planted near a large tree than azaleas.

Columbia, MO

Thank ya'll for replying. I sat and looked at the garden this afternoon remembering how I wanted it to look next spring.
I guess I will take my chances and go ahead and plant some Azaleas.

It is already so dry here in Mo. Now I am wondering if water use will be curtailed.

Thanks again
Viki

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.