Damaged raspberry leaves

Rochester, NY(Zone 6a)

My 1st year 'Caroline' raspberry bushes have lower leaf damage but new growth is unaffected. They are in very large patio pots. The holes appear to be insect damage ranging from multiple small holes to nearly skeletonized leaves. I've checked several times each day, both top and underside and have never found any insects. Anyone know what's wrong and how to treat it? Also, should I be fertilizing these plants yet. Prefer organic methods whenever possible. Sorry, unable to send photos which would be helpful. Thanksl

Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

Try trapping bugs.

Loosely roll a sheet of newspaper and leave it near the plant, on the ground for about 24 hours.
Many pests feed on the plants at night, then hide under something during the day. They might like the rolled newspaper as a hiding place.
In the day, get the roll and quickly transfer it to something like a 5 gallon bucket. Open the roll inside the bucket and see what you caught.

Without seeing pics I cannot say, but bugs such as earwigs (pincer bugs) can nip leaves, and live in the soil, so are usually found on the lower areas, through they can climb pretty well, too.

Rochester, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Diana_K, will try this and report back.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.