Sugar Baby Watermelon

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

I picked my first sugar baby watermelon a couple of days ago. It was really tasty. It was a little larger than a grapefruit. Are they usually this small?

Thumbnail by weeding
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

It is a small melon but bigger than grapefruit smaller than a bowling ball. In that size class I prefer Mickylee, better taste and performance.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill Thumbnail by Farmerdill

Which of two is Mickylee? I will try it next year. I planted Crimson Sweet and it only has one melon on it. Can you give me some names of small melons I can try next year?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

First photo is Sugar Baby. Second is Mickeylee. Another small icebox melon that has done well for me, but is a bit larger is Wilson's Sweet. Of course if you wish to go to hybrids, you have lots to selct from.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Goodness! Once I got beyond that load of watermelon all I could think about was how many hours it would take to prep almost five gallons of beans. Guess that's why so many Southern homes have porches (and rocking chairs).

I love and prefer heirloom.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I bet you are proud of your watermelon, Weeding! Good job, way to go!! I am growing cantaloupe for the first time and we're still getting some. So happy to not buy them!

I am very proud of my watermelon. I have tried them in the past but they always seem to rot. This one I am growing hydroponically.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Once you grow cantaloupe, can you store them in any way? Or, do you really just have to eat them fresh every day or so?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Cantaloupe has a short shelf life. Spanish melons including honeydews will keep for quite a while. Ananas, Canary etc.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill

Thanks, Farmerdill!

If you have just a couple extra you can make granitas and store them in the freezer. We add mint to cantaloupe and watermelon granitas and keep them for many months but once the weather cools frozen desserts are not so enticing. At that point they can become smoothy fodder. You can make a granita recipe (there are lots on line) and make the mixture in cubes to add to lemonade, iced tea, margaritas, or to make a wine cooler.

Laurel,
Now, THAT'S what I'm talkin' 'bout!

Thanks!

:) There are usually ways to make use of what we grow by thinking outside the Earthbox. Meanwhile, I don't have a single watermelon yet.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

The cantaloupe I'm growing, Ambrosia, keeps maybe a week. Once it gets nice & creamy colored, we cut it up & refrigerate. It doesn't last long because Mark & I eat it fast!

Thumbnail by bariolio
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Our Sugar Baby melons were small this year. I blame it on the weird weather we've had. We've grown Clemson Sweet melons in the past and they are larger and prolific for us. We'll not grow SB again due to the high number of seeds.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.