Hello, I'm kinda new here

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hi everyone,
I've been here at Dave's Garden for awhile and have enjoyed reading all the great posts! I think it's time I said hello. My name is Bonnie and I live in Chandler, AZ. We moved here after my husband retired from the Air Force 12 years ago. Well, we finally were able to buy our own home after moving around so much for 21 years. The first thing I did was check out the back yard to make sure I could garden, without asking permission to dig the grounds, thank you very much! :) It was a beautiful blank slate, uh, well except for weeds and bugs and dust, but they are mostly history. So, I've been learning to garden here in beautiful Arizona and it's been great, and a great challenge. Did I mention it is the biggest learning experience curve ever?
Things I've learned:
Do not install my irrigation in July.
Shade is a great thing.
Plants actually have the nerve to die.
Do not say, "Maybe it won't be so hot tomorrow."
Do not obliterate every creepy crawley that crosses your path. Some of them are good to have.
I'll never finish. Saying, "Okay, it's just right" automatically means I'll change my mind.

I look forward to getting to know you all!
Bonnie

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Welcome Bonnie,.

Glad to have you settle here and give my thanks to your husband for his service.
As you figured it out, gardening here is a challenge, mainly from May till the end of August.
The rest of the time, it feels like you can grow just about anything.
I've always said that if I had all the money I spent on plants hat are no longer with us, I could retire at least 5 years early. LOL
Looking forward getting to know you and I am sure you will get the best advice from the people on this site. They are the best. !

Rodica

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

Greetings Bonnie, Rodi has it right. It's a pretty great group here and it sounds as though you're off to a good start. One thing I've learned is that if I don't like it, don't want it or just ignore it, it will grow and thrive. Welcome to the asylum

Jim.

Prescott, AZ

Welcome Bonnie! I'm up in Prescott, and also pretty new to the forum. One thing I've learned about Arizona gardening: never ever plant ANYTHING in full sun, no matter what the tag on the plant says! Keep it fun...

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hi Rodicap, he says thank you, his pleasure. At least five years for sure!

Hi Jim, you are right! That is my experience, too. Is this one of those places you can check in to but you can never leave?

Hi Nopala, thank you. I know it, and yet I still try it. I just keep thinking 'Okay, this time it will work."

Maybe it is a sign that I should be here. Didn't Einstein say something about doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is the definition of insanity? It's going to be a lengthy stay!

Bonnie

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

That makes us all insane. I am glad I am in good company.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.