endless summer no flowers again

Lansing, IL

I did it again I pruned it wrong I think. I do not have flowers again this year. Whoops, I have one and that is on a new shoot at the bottom.
I started 3 off the main bush and they have all flowered. I gave away 2 and the one I kept is growing but I do not see buds yet and it is the end of July.
I know we had a harsh winter but I hoped this would not hurt the main bush.

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Yes, we all had a pretty sorry number of blooms this year, especially those with old wood hydrangeas but I am surprised that your ES has not rebloomed for you by now. Perhaps because now is the middle of the summer though and you may have to wait until temps go down a bit. I would have expected bloomage in July but that would be normal for me though.

I full summer, even my roses look like nice green bushes with nairy a bloom too except here and there. I would wait a few weeks more and see if it reblooms from new wood. It is a problem for ES in Z5 and 4 sometimes.

I just had to do an emergency watering on the hydrangeas in front of the house this morning.

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

luis_pr ~ Do you have a picture of your hydrangea? Did yours bloom early this summer?

ladyshriner ~ With all the crazy weather patterns, who knows if the plants know when to bloom?

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Oh, sorry, I do not have a picture. My digital camera went bust a few years ago and I still have not figured out which one to replace it with. No, it did not bloom early. The ones that did bloom early were a white old-wood mophead called Mme. Emile Moulliere exposed to the north side of the house and an unknown old-wood lacecap in a protected slot. Ironic, I know. Those two old-wood varieties did better....

Athens, PA

My ES was killed down to the ground this past winter. It has been coming up from the bottom and I have had a smattering of flowers this year - nothing like I have gotten in previous years though.

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Mine was hardly Endless Summer...it bloomed once, but for quite a while. I'll get a picture to you when I get to the library with the laptop. I have a very slow landline. I tried to upload on here before...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.