Something horrible in my flower bed! Please help!

Southaven, MS

Up until last week my ornamentals were thriving. Then I started noticing a few brown spots on my zinnia leaves. I thought my husband might have oversprayed weed killer onto them but then I noticed it had spread onto my morning glory. In the last two days it appears to have infected my whole flower bed! My calla lily was fine yesterday but now looks awful! I am fairly new at this and have no idea what is happening. I am just sick about it. I hope whatever it is has not infected the soil. Any suggestions?

Thumbnail by donnacreek Thumbnail by donnacreek Thumbnail by donnacreek Thumbnail by donnacreek
Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

The Calla looks like sunburn. The others look like pesticide (weeds are also pests, so the word 'pesticide' includes herbicides) or disease.

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

The second pictures looks like snails/slugs. Try Sluggo. Not sure about the others. They could also be snails/slugs.

LAS

Southaven, MS

Thank you. I did have a problem with snails and slugs eating my seedlings and put out Sluggo earlier in the season. I will reapply. Cutworms have also been a nightmare both in my beds and containers. It is an ongoing battle and I think I'm losing! At least so far only the foliage has been affected. My flowers are beautiful!

Montpelier, VT

I get small red beetles that lay eggs on my lily leaves. When the eggs hatch, the "grubs" eat the leaves. I try to pick the beetles off & squish them, & the same with the grubs. I hate to start using chemicals, but they're really doing a number on the lilies, & are preventing me from buying any more lilies. Any suggestions?

Rocky Point, NC

I always do a search specifying .edu sites. In this case http://web.aces.uiuc.edu/vista/pdf_pubs/655.pdf suggests that BACTERIAL LEAF SPOT might be an issue.

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

Cozmasta, I recommend Spinosad. It's the latest plant based pesticide with broad effects. It takes care of my red lily beetles. I use it as rarely as is practical, to avoid helping resistant beetles to evolve.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.