Beech Tree

East Bridgewater, MA

I see these hanging beech trees in city parks. Is this just a cultivar of our American Beech or a different species altogether?

Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Weeping Beech!

These are Fagus sylvatica var. pendula or 'Pendula' - since most will be grafted specimens.

Need...to...learn...to...identify...American Beech...versus...European Beech....

East Bridgewater, MA

Be careful what you assume. I've never seen a European Beech before, or at least have never cataloged it.

This message was edited Jul 27, 2014 10:21 PM

East Bridgewater, MA

Sent you a PM.

This message was edited Jul 27, 2014 10:26 PM

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Neefman,

I don't mean to be rude, but how could you possibly have missed the enormous European Beeches spread around Mt Auburn cemetery? Actually, they seem to be very common throughout New England.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quote from ViburnumValley :
Need...to...learn...to...identify...American Beech...versus...European Beech....

American has slightly larger leaves, with a more obviously dentate margin. Thus 'grandi' and 'dentata' ;-)

Resin

East Bridgewater, MA

Quote from Pseudo :
Neefman,

I don't mean to be rude, but how could you possibly have missed the enormous European Beeches spread around Mt Auburn cemetery? Actually, they seem to be very common throughout New England.

There are probably dozens of common trees I don't know. Do you know all the birds in your backyard? I'm certain if you are not a bird lover I could make you feel equally badly for missing common species. Don't get so comfortable with your tree knowledge to assume anyone ought to know anything. This is how forum lordliness develops. Talking down to people is ALWAYS wrong.

Resin displayed patience, the simple facts, and absolutely no judgement.

East Bridgewater, MA

Quote from Resin :

American has slightly larger leaves, with a more obviously dentate margin. Thus 'grandi' and 'dentata' ;-)

Resin

Thanks! That was a helpful and response which makes me want to learn more. No shame implied here!

Now I know, but I'll probably need to relearn a few times before it sinks in.

I don't think there is any lordliness expressed or implied here - Presidentiality, yes, and rightfully so. Some of us throw out backhanded (and sometimes forehanded) sarcasm from time to time.

I absolutely refuse to now or ever in the future be so dry and straightlaced in posting here. Adults participate here - by choice - and adults have personalities, quirks, and idiosyncracies. I believe I have the right to jostle, joust, probe, poke, perambulate, and joke around. I've done so here for over eight years now. Don't think anyone has died from it.

I'm not diminishing your opinion, but I think it is misdirected and unnecessary. I wrote what I wrote because I thought we previously had a distinct conversation about differences between those two beech species - to wit:

American Beech foliage related to native Americans with their sharp arrows - alluding to the dentate leaf margins. European Beech foliage related to Europeans who came over the ocean's waves - wavy leaf margins. Worked every time for the grizzled veteran KY hort professor who had to teach a bunch of stooge landscape architecture students.

By the way: what's up with the "grandi-" and the "dentata"? Methinks Resin is slightly off the mark from Fagus grandifolia.

PS By the Way: Resin can be (and is) rather blunt, straightforward, and judgmental of those that incorrectly use common names and the wrong word to describe residents of Scotland (or plants with such monikers attached). You don't want to be standing in the vicinity of those replies, lest ye be scorched.

East Bridgewater, MA

Nice speech but those periods pissed me off. I'll call you out anytime you do that.

Now let this post die and let's move on.

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

I believe I have the right to jostle, joust, probe, poke, perambulate, and joke around. I've done so here for over eight years now. Don't think anyone has died from it.

Well, maybe no one has died from it, but my mother told me that perambulation can cause serious problems.

But not blindness!

Pseudo: send... neefster ...the...story...behind... all...the...periods...in... postings... like...from...Michigan... and...gardens... with...webs...

That aside, I don't ever use excessive periodicity. I wonder what gets under our Beantown friend's skin about a preponderance of punctuation...

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

By the way: what's up with the "grandi-" and the "dentata"? Methinks Resin is slightly off the mark from Fagus grandifolia.

Ooops! Must be getting muddled with Castanea dentata ;-)

Resin

East Bridgewater, MA

This message was edited Jul 30, 2014 9:18 AM

East Bridgewater, MA

Water under the bridge John, don't worry about it anymore.

I'll have lots of pics from my Dakotas trip for people to ID in a few weeks. I'll be looking forward to sharing.

I messed up above post trying to get the quote syntax right, sorry.

This message was edited Jul 30, 2014 9:26 AM

Consider it forgotten.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.