Why won't it bloom? Argggg

Pittsford, NY(Zone 5b)

So I have a beautiful and healthy hydrangea that I give plenty of TLC, but no matter what for the second straight year it seems super healthy but no blooms. I have many of other hydrangeas that do great and bloom but this one is temperamental. All of my other hydrangeas are south facing full sun and do great. This is my backyard north facing 6-8 hr sun exposure. Is this the reason on no blooms? If so can I safely transport this in the fall to the front yard? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thumbnail by jillnrandy
Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

What is the name? I see it is a macrophylla but it may be an older type that only blooms on old wood. With this past winter most Macs had a major dieback on the old wood along with this year's blooms. Hope we don't have a repeat of this past winter. You can try methods of winter protection as well and see if that helps.

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Or add a rebloomer there or in the front yard so you get at least some late bloomage. Or add an oakleaf hydrangea; they are hardy to Z5. Or add an arborescens like Annabelle or a paniculata, both of which develop flower buds in Spring (away from ole' bad man winter).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.