? re fertilizer

toms river, NJ

Is there any reason why regular all purpose fertilizer can't be used for pond plants?

Athens, PA

If you have fish, frogs or other wildlife, it will poison them. Potting soil should not be used to pot up pond plants as it contains fertilizer.

If you have wildlife, there are pond tabs and fertilizer stakes that can be used to feed your plants without harming any of the wildlife.

toms river, NJ

Carolyn22,
Thanks for your response. Currently no fish/frogs but hope to have some. Guess I need to go to local pond place for pond tabs and assume they sell soil also. Have some water lily plants from Lowes that are growing from mesh thing they came in - no flowers yet.
Regards,
Jim

Athens, PA

Jim

Welcome - we are a friendly bunch here - and we are glad to have another. The more the merrier.

You may want to pot up those waterlilies. I don't think they do very well in those mesh bags.

A lot of people use the clay kitty litter you get a walmart that has no additives. I use pea gravel in pots myself with egg rock on top to keep the fish from getting the pea gravel all over.

You can get the pond tabs in most any where that sells pond plants. I have found recently that there are some very good deals on Amazon. I know some in this forum swear by ebay, so there are a lot places that you can find what you need at a price of your choosing.

How big is your pond, Jim? When did you put it in? Do you have photos? We would love to see them.

toms river, NJ

It is a small setup. We found the 3 molded pieces in the trash one evening. The whole thing is about 7'x8' (including stones and plantings). We had a few goldfish in it last year but they didn't make it thru winter. They had been ok in a half winebarrel thing all prior winter but last winter was really bad here. Pond was setup Spring '13.

Thumbnail by dggardenerguy
toms river, NJ

more photos having trouble uploading them

toms river, NJ

try again

Athens, PA

Jim

Very nice. We had a miserable winter too. We had noo problems with the fish from the winter though, and a lot of people in this area did. The only thing I can figure is we use 2 deicers instead of just 1. Did you use a deicer in your pond? There has to be a hole kept in pond for gas exchanges to occur. Otherwise the gases will build up and will kill the fish.

Love your pond.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Welcome Jim,
Your pond is beautiful and so are all the plants.
Glad to have another ponding person aboard.

Bonnie D.

toms river, NJ

thanks to you both for the warm welcome

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.