Does anyone have LA Dreaming?

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I walked into Menards with my rebate certificate meaning to buy plastic food bags, but as usual did a detour through the garden center. There I found some really weary Endless Summers, but some healthy looking leafed out La Dreaming one gallon plants - for $16. And I had a $7 rebate coupon, so...

Here is a blurb on it.:

http://www.biltmore.com/blog/article/l.a.-dreamin-hydrangea

And here is the one I bought. It looked very healthy.

Is anyone growing it? I had never even HEARD of it!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Heard of it before but never saw it for sale locally. Had a chance to buy some florist hydrangeas at Sam's today for less than $9 but I passed. Need to move some of the ones I already have and start propagating my favorites...

Let us know how it goes for you.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I'll keep you posted.

It supposedly blooms on old and new wood in multicolors unless your soil is extremely acid or alkaline. I probably would not have been willing to pay full price but I love hydrangeas, and have several oakleafs and had a wonderful serrata. I grow lots of peonies and roses and lilies and it seems to me that this is particularly a nice addition to peonies since they only, of course, bloom once.

The cultural information was fairly exacting in terms of pruning the plant to shape it, so right now it is resting in shade, will get some water today, and then I will prepare a pot and baby it a bit while I choose a permanent location. I tend to make better choices when I do that.

Donna

My problem is two big dogs so I have to put up barriers so they don't damage new plants. Even with a 3 foot temporary fence the younger dog easily leaps it but he knows he is in hot water if I catch him back there. The temptation of a squirrel or chipmunk is too much at times. Found several pots overturned last night including a heavier pot that I knew a squirrel could not tip. Then I found the telltale sign (dog poo by the pot). Dog prints by the gate on the wrong side. GRRR! What to do... I did plant the last 3 hydrangeas - Sugar & Spice and Abracadabra Star near the recent burial site of our old cat; and Fire and Ice by the neighbor's side in full sun along with a Wine and Roses Weigela surrounded by mounds of cut branches in hopes of slowing the dogs down through this area.

Have fun with your new hydrangea - sounds interesting and the photos on line look exciting.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

After I finished laughing at the images you created in my head I was charmed to hear that I am not the only person who planted something as a tribute to a beloved pet - mine was a lily.

You have fun too!

Yeah we have to have a little memorial for our pets, right?

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Absolutely.

(Zone 4b)

I *just* came in from removing my huge ES, non blooming hydrangea, replacing it with a "Tuff Stuff" lace cap and then I read your thread and this pertinent info from your link:

Unlike typical ‘mophead’ hydrangeas, L.A. Dreamin’ blooms without any winter protection on both old and new wood. As a result, it reliably unveils its unique tri-color show each summer on a compact plant that is the perfect size for creating a focal point in any landscape.

IF the above claims are true ie blooms well on new and old w/o winter protection AND is compact I WANT ONE NOW :).

I did a bit of a google search and I dont see it being offered yet in Canada.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Yes, that got my attention too.

Every year I start dropping by garden centers to pick up what they can't sell. My biggest coup over the years was the two David Austin roses Heritage, originally $24.99, and Glamis Castle, originally $27.99 The were in five gallon containers and marked down to $9.99. And they were perfect - no blackspot, no mildew, while other Austins looked like death. I love containers - you just pop them (properly watered and handled, of course), into the ground. And since they are no longer caring for the plants very well, you can see how the plant functions in your climate.

Trees and shrubs go on sale in July here. The problem is that a tree's survival rate, planted in July, is low. Two people I know who put in maples are looking at VERY brown leaves. The trick (I've done it twice) is to find an expensive tree that is 50% off. Then buy it, and ask to have it installed - in fall. The installation cost will move the tree back up in price but - they have to take care of it during the dog days of summer. And they will - they'll water it and protect it, but it is sold to you and no one else can buy it. Then they bring it to you in September or October. These people bought their trees at full price, AND they paid to have them installed, and they may not make it.

Lindsey Anne is not a Proven Winner. It's a Ball Ornamental. I'd never heard of them, but there are a bunch of them. They are all patented. Some of them are quite lovely.

http://www.ballornamentals.com/series_info.aspx?phid=034006008003949

At Menard's, I saw a lot of different hydrangeas - Tuff Stuff, Endless Summer, Bridal Veil. Some of them still had blooms. But the only useful thing about blooms is that you can be certain of what you are getting, and if they come in the container of the grower you can be pretty sure it is the item it's supposed to be. At Garden Centers they are still expensive. But at big box grocery stores, all they want to do is get rid of them quickly because that is not their thing.

So please do have a look at the equivalent of Menards and Meijers in Canada. I saw some really good shrubs, and some of them were actually five gallons.

(Zone 4b)

Quote from DonnaMack :
Yes, that got my attention too.

Lindsey Anne is not a Proven Winner. It's a Ball Ornamental.

So please do have a look at the equivalent of Menards and Meijers in Canada

Hi Donna, I made contact with the developer of LA Dreamin' and he confirmed that it is not yet available in Canada. Too bad as I would have loved to have had it in the ground in time for next spring.

Janesville, WI(Zone 5a)

We have 2 of the endless summer hydrangeas. They have done great. Greening up right now

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

My LA has broken dormancy. Stay tunes. And I have an Endless summer that is greening up as well.

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

In a little over a month, or so, you will be seeing broccoli!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.