CLOSED: Wanted Maypops Passionvine

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

I really want one bad, the one I had croaked at another persons house.. trade for plants or will pay for shipping , perfer live plant if possible.

Belton, TX

Sent d-mail...

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

Debra, are you looking for the hardy Passionflower, passiflora incarnata?

Nanny, yes, any hardy passion vine, I have some tropical kind, but want the kind that I do not have to bring in every Fall..I have planted a ton of fresh seeds from pods sent to me, but none have come up.. which is embarrassing, considering how I am usually pretty dang good with seeds. *sigh*

Passionflower can be finicky, and it may have been the seed. How many do you want? I have several plants that I would love to trade. Be sure you plant them in a place that you don't mind if they take over, because they surely will. They are great for a wall or fence, or even a hillside, that you want to cover up. I even find them popping up in the yard.
lol I just pull them up if they are in my way. Or you can plant them in a large pot and sink it in the ground to keep them in check. That being said, I have plenty to share, if you still want them. Mine came back after the bitter cold winter we had although they were a little bit later than usual,so I am convinced they can not be killed by reasonable methods.

Thumbnail by Nanny23 Thumbnail by Nanny23 Thumbnail by Nanny23

No need to be embarrassed, I think every gardener has one thing that eludes them when trying to grow from seed. I have had trouble in the past with Echinaceas not the old purple coneflower, but the new flashy colors that everyone wants. I am not giving up, but I am sure aggravated enough that I am going to winter sow and see if it works better for me. I tried several different methods with no success. But I can grow Passionflower, go figure.

Pawleys Island, SC

Dmail me.

I can't seem to manage rudbeckia from seed. LOL

Beaver Falls, PA(Zone 6a)

Nanny23, do try growing the newer Ehcies from seed by Winter Sowing. I think you will find you get success that way. I don't get alot but do get some volunteer seedlings coming up near my bright colored cone flowers.

Linda

Thanks Linda, I will!

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

I've read the newer Echies don't come true from seed???!!!

I have heard that, too. But I thought I might give it a try anyway.It might be interesting to see what happens.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Yes, let us know.....

I will do that!

Beaver Falls, PA(Zone 6a)

You don't know what you are going to get. I had a seedling come up from what had to be from E. Paradoxa and E. Sunset (or Sundown - have to check the tag) and it looks like Tiki Torch. So glad I didn't pull that volunteer up and throw it out like I usually do!

I sent some of my seeds from the different colored Echies to someone who wanted to try them, and they grew them out. She sent me a picture and they were all different colors - yellows, oranges, salmons, etc. I don't grow any of the Purple Coneflower varieties like Magnus or Bright Star. At that time, I didn't even grow E. Pow Wow Wildberry, which I do now.

If you have the time and want to play with seeds, I think it might be worth it to grow them from seeds just to see what you get.

I agree with that theory. And am willing to put it to the test.

I am hoping to see some of these Next year... I should never have given them to my daughter..

Thumbnail by joeswife

You surely will see some of those! Possibly this year, if the weather cooperates. Next year for sure!

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Igrowinpa....just to let you know E. paradoxa is an older variety and should be just fine, it will come true from seed.. it's all the newer ones that seem to have problems germinating or come true to the parent they came from. I've been growing paradoxa for 20 years...along with magnus and purpureas. Love echies!! Ok, I love ALL flowers..lol.

I picked up 2 new Passiflora incarnata this spring...sure hope they decide to come back next spring...fingers are crossed... Ever had the fruit? Was wondering if it's tasty? Truely a beautiful and interesting flower up close.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

WWK, If for some reason your Passiflora Incarnata doesn't come back, let me know, I have plenty to share. :)

I really appreciate all the response, thanks so much.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.