Historic tree

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

To change things up a bit, I'll let you know up front this is a Yellowwood (Cladrastis) that was planted in 1829. Can you identify the location and story behind it?

Thumbnail by Pseudo Thumbnail by Pseudo Thumbnail by Pseudo
Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

No but there is a lot for sale at 1829 Yellowwood Ave in Sacramento. The internet is wonderful.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I'd bet that the Bartram boys had something to do with it.

Any cheesesteaks involved? Did Andre Michaux participate?

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Lol.

I'm not sure about the Bartram's, but they may have been involved in some way. John Bartram's seemed to be very well connected In the burgeoning market for plants. I don't think Michaux was involved, but can't be certain about that either. Cheesesteaks were reviled.

The key figures in this little history lesson were an interesting couple. He was the first president to serve in the US House of Representatives, while she was/is the only First Lady born outside the US. They both loved trees. :)

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

I should have said he was the only president to serve in the house following his presidency.

Well, you gave excellent clues.

It appears that John Quincy Adams is the presidential culprit - along with his wife Louisa Catherine Johnson Adams from London, England.

I can only suppose that the tree was planted on an anniversary of sorts - maybe in gratitude for not being re-elected President...

Forgot to say the location is the "Old House" or Peacefield, the Adams' residence in Boston.

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

You are correct. Like his father, he was aloof and irascible, often irritating to both his own and the opposing party. A better statesman than president it would seem, but hey, he loved trees...

I'm proud to be his namesake...

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

Funny mlm.

Actually IN Boston? I can't figure out where that could have been.

Any news on the occasion of the planting? Is Cladrastis uncommon in or native to North America?

I'm also proud to be from where Cladrastis kentukea is from.

Darn tootin' it's native...

Someone just returned to his Wisconsin digs after a foray to Beantown...and now this:

Quoting:
Beetle threatens Mass. state forests, officials say

The ash borer, a beetle that has destroyed millions of ash trees across the U.S., was found at the Arnold Arboretum in Boston, park officials say. To deter the spread of the insect, forest officials are advising residents not to transport ash trees across the state.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2014/07/30/emerald-ash-borer-threat-trees-found-arnold-arboretum/Nd2iwFsg5kPAqENa40dX6I/story.html[/quote]

Pseudo?

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Busted! I knew it was a bad idea to bring firewood onto the plane...

; )

Thumbnail by Pistil

It was the bat your wife carries - to keep you in line...

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

I respond more to the carrot than bat. Mmm, let me change that to "glove than bat." You know, as in baseball...

MLM, are you a cartoonist by trade? You have an interesting style, and you could become the leading horticultural cartoonist. I am sure there is pent up demand for something like this. I have zero drawing ability, but I do enjoy a good cartoon, which is the chief reason I subscribe to The New Yorker.

Ooooh, new career idea. The ONLY horticultural cartoonist. Might take a while to build up my business...

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

I suspect some of you have seen this treasure. I wonder how long it can hang on.

Thumbnail by Pseudo Thumbnail by Pseudo
Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

Pseudo, what is it and what is its story? I just gotta know!

Despite the lack of detail in those images, I suspect this is one of the original (or descendents thereof) Franklinia alatamaha accessions, which as a species is unfortunately no longer known of in the "wild".

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Yup, the oldest known Franklinia in the US.

Thumbnail by Pseudo

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.