sick plant

Decatur, GA

Here is a case of neglect. Its pretty sad I know. I simply haven't taken the time to try and figure the problem out and fix it.
Does it look like a case of spider mites? That is my guess. If so would systemic cure be better than a topical spray? Any input would be great. Its time for this specimen to shine again.

Thumbnail by helenchild
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

I don't know what is affecting it, but you better do something quick--it looks pretty sick!

Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

Agree. I can't help with a diagnosis but when Euphorbias go brown like that, those parts tend not to become green again. So there not be a cure, but the plant may grow out of it if you figure out the problem. I have a crested cactus that suffers from a similar sort of browning (?too much sun) but the new growth always starts out nice and green.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

On Helen's plant the "new" growth looks all brown and the older growth is green. I don't think that is good!!!!

Decatur, GA

The brown part was green as new growth but has turned brown. It was brown before it went outside so it isn't sun burn. I thought once it hit the porch this spring it would start growing again but it hasn't.
Any thoughts on treating it if it is spider mites? That is my first inclination. Also maybe putting back in soil. I haven't looked to see about its roots actually. I'll let you know.
Thanks.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

That would be a really bad case of spider mites. I don't like to use chemicals, but you might need a systemic insecticide on it. Still might be too late. For now, at least I'd be hosing off the plant every day to prevent more spider mites. Do you see lots of fine webs on it? It doesn't exactly look like spider mites to me. I do think it would be a good idea to look at the root system and see what is going on there. I can't imagine why the S-H would be a problem, but you could put it in soil (or maybe put it out in your garden soil for the rest of summer) and see what happens. You would need to bring in in the fall of course!

Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

I have no idea if mites are involved because I've never seen them. But mites require different chemical agents for control than the ones used for insects. Your garden variety insecticide (imidacloprid) will not knock down mites.

Another thing: systemics become increasingly useless as the plant's roots and circulatory system cease to function. A really sick plant will often be unable to take up the product and make it useful. This is especially relevant with plants that go dormant or have strong seasonal cycles. Bottom line, if your Euphorbia is in growth arrest then I would attack whatever is afflicting it from the outside.

This message was edited Jul 27, 2014 2:07 PM

Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

What did you decide to do for treatment of your plant? I wish I could help with diagnosis but don't know what it is.

Decatur, GA

I took the plant out of its old pot of clay pellets and found some viable roots so I knew the plant was hanging in there. I redid it into a new bigger container with lots of new pellets. That was over a month ago.
Surprise! It has put out some new growth. I am still not sure about the mites or not but at least its improving.

Thumbnail by helenchild
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

So happy to hear Helen! That was a strange problem!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.