goldfish cancer?

Decatur, GA

This goldfish has had these lesions for several years. The black ones were bigger on one point but haven't change for awhile. The large tumor is on a stalk (possibly less invasive?) He(she?) also has some lumps on his face and around and in his/her eyes.
This fish is active and hungry. None of the other fish are affected.
Anyone have any ideas?

Thumbnail by helenchild Thumbnail by helenchild Thumbnail by helenchild Thumbnail by helenchild
Columbus, OH

Sorry I don't know what this disease is. But I would recommend putting the fish in quarantine.
If no one on here knows what it is, you might try the Koiphen website or a store that specializes in fish and aquariums.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Those black spots look like ulcers. That large tumor I have never seen.
Have you tried putting them in a separate tank and treating with Pimafix or Melafix or just salt.
Pimafix and Melafix are usually avail. at Walmart and certainly at any pet store.
Not reg. salt. I use water sotfner salt from Walmart in bags that say no additives. I salt both my ponds every spring and fall to keep slime coat on them and ward off disease.

Some helpful sites for ponders. www.koi-pond-guide.com
http://www.pondkoi.com/pond-products-koi-medications.htm
PondRX.com

If you have a Koi club in your area they should also be able to help you with suggestions.
Fish vets are hard to come by so I have learned through MANY fish diseases to become my fishes vet. Early detection is the best prevention.

If all your fish are affected and in same pond you may as well treat whole pond. Follow instructions to the letter on the meds.

Good luck and hope you can cure them.
Bonnie D.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

I used plain old iodine applied right on sore spot. Doesn't stay on long but you can cover it with denture adhesive powder over that to make it last longer. Husb uses fixodent so we always have that on hand.

Guess your fish don't have ulcers cause they eat right through and get inside after a while.
I really don't like the looks of those tumors though.

I hope Merry Mary will chime in here soon. She has had lots of experiences with treating fish and is a long time ponder.

From Dr. Eric Johnson's UTubes:
1. check for overcrowded: 1" of fish for 10 gals. of water.
2. Test water for nitrogen cycles. (need test kit)
3. Parasites: need microscope-biopsy and salt
4. koi lab.com for viral testing.
Good link:koivet.comDr.Johnson.com-koi beginner.com good U tube.

Water testing once a week is a great practice. Poor water quality can cause lots of problems.
After testing water try salt first. Very affective in many cases.

Hope some of this helps you.
Bonnie D.

Athens, PA

Helen

You said that several years the fish has been like that? Has the tumor gotten any bigger? If it has been several years - any other fish would already have whatever the problem is I would think.

I had a koi with a tumor once - the tumor was internal, but the tumor eventually ruptured, I can only hope that my koi did not suffer.

Decatur, GA

The fish has been like this for several years. The black spots are not ulcers. Initially the got bigger and then went to this size, which they have been for over a year.
The large pedunculated mass reached this size over about a 6 month time period and seems now to have stabilized at this present size for the last 4-5 months.
I don't think its an infectious process. The fish acts very healthy and vigorous so at this point I am not worried.
Thanks for all the input. Its an interesting case especially since this bunch of experienced fish keepers has never seen it before.

Athens, PA

I am wondering if the black spots are just black spots. I know that my kohaku and some others have gotten 'freckled' a bit over the years.

Fish do get tumors - mine was on the inside growing out and yours is on the outside. Do you think it is encapsulated?

At least the fish isn't contagious. I would just keep an eye on him. He is a very pretty fish.

Decatur, GA

Update. My fish with the tumor died last week. It wintered okay and was starting to feed again this spring. But the soft light colored tumor grew a lot over the winter. It had probably tripled in size and was actually pretty awful looking. I am sure it must have been a real drag when he tried to swim.
A couple of weeks ago I noticed the fish hanging not moving much. Then he died and when I pulled him out the tumor was partially shredded on the outside.
So who knows? Not me. It may have been bleeding and the fish died from blood loss.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Sorry you lost your fish but better than to see them suffer.

Last Sat. I lost 4 pretty god sized ones from ammonia overload due to falling oak blossoms. The strange part was they were all laying on the bottom blotted. Usually dead fish float. I cleaned it right down to the liner and they have stopped falling now thank God.

I have come to the conclusion fish are a hit or miss pet. Yet they thrive in our crummy lakes and ponds in the woods. Go figure.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.