Cayenne pepper taste

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

I'm growing these for the frist time this year and just tasted one that was still green.

What a HORRIBLE taste! Man it was hot but the flavor sucks!

Just wanted to vent.

New Orleans, LA(Zone 9a)

Let then ripen to a red color & the taste will improve. I grew a couple of cayenne pepper bushes last year & dried the red peppers. Ground some up in a coffee grinder to a powder and just crushed some by hand - with gloves - to flakes.

Sometimes I think the taste of cayenne is acquired. DH hates it. I love it.
Jo-Ann

Thanks Jo-Ann. I DO have some red ones that I am drying now.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Cayenne has a sharp bite regardless of the color and I'm not talking about the heat. Serranos do too. Some chilies are sweet, some pungent, some have depth and some are sharp, bordering on bitter. Cayennes are sharp. As Jo-Ann posted, they are best dried and ground to flakes or powder. I pickle a bunch, because we can't dry peppers well in our humidity, but only to preserve for chilli dishes and not for eating as a pickled pepper. With your limited season there are better space options for fresh eating, cooking or preserving peppers. Try cherry bomb or lemon peppers. There are two types of lemon peppers. The larger are not as hot.

Thanks for the explaination MaypopLaurel!

New Orleans, LA(Zone 9a)

Quote from MaypopLaurel :
they are best dried and ground to flakes or powder. I pickle a bunch, because we can't dry peppers well in our humidity

The only way I can dehydrate anything in New Orleans is to use a dehydrator. Yesterday someone at the farmers market was asking me about drying peppers in the sun. Just can't be done here. We've been getting rain every day, and the humidity's just too high. Get a dehydrator, even a cheap one, and run it outside!
Jo-Ann

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.