Walnut Again?

East Bridgewater, MA

I don't think this is a Walnut because the leaves seem to be opposite not alternate. They were also too small if my memory is correct. once again, photography was difficult and several twig shots were simply unusable.

Hope this is enough to ID.

Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Thanks for noting the compound leaf arrangement on the stems as opposite.

That's Phellodendron amurense - Amur Corktree.

East Bridgewater, MA

I'm savoring the irony of this ID after I actually through a genuine nutty thinking pear tree was this species in December. lol

And yes, VV, with repetition and patience you have managed to develop some skills in me. Yeah for both of us!

East Bridgewater, MA

I went back today while my kids were in their swim class, and yes, the bark is indeed "corky".

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

I saw some nice Cork Trees while spending time in your neck of the woods, Neefman. The first grows at the Arnold Arb, while the 2nd can be found at Mt Auburn Cemetery. I know they're classified as invasive, but this is a beautiful tree.

Thumbnail by Pseudo Thumbnail by Pseudo
East Bridgewater, MA

You probably stood under the very same tree VV and I did at Mt. Auburn, was it next to a small pond? VV gave a great lesson on trees to me and two Swedish ladies there which I try not to forget. :)

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Yes, I suspect it's the same tree. We happended to stumble on "The Dell," which is the original section of the cemetery. We didn't make it to Mt Auburn until early evening of our last day in Boston, and I sure wish we'd given ourselves more time at this incredible place. Here's a photo of the dell and the nearby resting place of a notable resident.

Thumbnail by Pseudo Thumbnail by Pseudo

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.