floating planters

Arlington, TX

Made these today. No idea what will happen when it rains or if sphagnum moss will harm my pond but it was fun. The pitcher plant is iffy, I still don't believe it can survive in pond water but I have two of this kind so it won't be a big loss if it dies. I am hoping the moss will green up and grow out some like it does in the pots I use it in.
I added some small sundews to the miniature horse tail pot just for fun.
C

Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

I love them! They look great! Wonder if you used living sheet moss if it would make a difference? You'll know soon enough if they fall apart. :)

Arlington, TX

Sphagnum grows floating on water plus I had it already for my carnivorous plants. Not sure how the other moss would do in th his application but it's worth trying out.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Sphagnum won't hurt your pond even if it gloats out of holders. Are your floating islands made from the green craft foam?
Anyhow they look beautiful and I hope they grow well for you.

Bonnie D.

Arlington, TX

One is green and one is white. They didn't have the green in the right size. They are wreath forms from the craft store.

Decatur, GA

I tried these several years ago but they had to be tethered to keep them from floating under the waterfall. And then they got top heavy and tipped. Not a good fit for me but yours look great.

Columbus, OH

The pitcher plant should do great. I know lots of other ponders who use them in this way.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Love those pitcher plants. Very attractive.

Arlington, TX

Time will tell as far as the tipping goes. Neither plant gets very tall and both are secured so they can't really move anywhere.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.