Wasted Green Beans?

(Zone 5a)

I finally (and I mean finally) succeeded in growing beans, enough that I guesstimated we have about 28 quarts on the first picking. We hauled out the pressure canner, not having used it for a couple of years. Things were going so smoothly now that I have children old enough to safely help. Until...

The seal is obviously in need of a replacing as when the pressure is building it starts leaking at side when it is around 5 pounds. I have a gas stove, so that just runs onto the flame. I am not sure an electric could maintain heat either, if water is dripping on it.

I found a store that carries the correct rubber seal, but what I am I supposed to do in the mean time with the beans in the canner? I do not drive, so have to wait until my husband is home from the office. I know of people who do water bath canning of green beans, but three hours? Whatever good is surely cooked right out of the beans, even if the bacteria is killed.

Thank you for any help.

This thread has 7 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!