Eurasian Doves

Aurora, CO(Zone 4a)

In the last few weeks, as we've added more bird feeders to our back yard, Eurasian Doves have moved in to the feeders, crowding out our native birds - even our domestic turtledoves. Our backyard residents crowd together on the utility lines above the feeders, waiting until there's room for them. I was told to withdraw corn from the food, possibly letting the feeders go empty for a few days, sending the Eurasian Doves elsewhere. No way am I going to risk the loss of our lovely finches and their charming families. What if they go elsewhere? We use a super-soaker type of water gun to chase off the squirrels and it works quite well. I wonder if something like that would discourage the Eurasians. Our lovely domestic turtledoves eat from the feed that falls on the ground under the feeders, but sometimes the Eurasians roost in the tree above the feeder and move in to chase off the domestics. I want these thieves gone, but worry that spraying them with water would scare off our birdie residents. Any help?

Thumbnail by wingwoman Thumbnail by wingwoman Thumbnail by wingwoman Thumbnail by wingwoman Thumbnail by wingwoman
Aurora, CO(Zone 4a)

Please ignore. I must be getting old. I've already asked this question, but I guess I had a need to show off more photos. I did start this thread IN the birdwatching forum, but there is still no link to close it. ???

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

You can only close threads in the "ID" forums.
I haven't replied because I thought that there was an etiquette that you aren't supposed to bash birds in the bird-watching forum - and I do not have anything nice or encouraging to say about Eurasian Collared Doves. I don't have as many during the summer as during the winter. Perhaps they do a little migration between Pueblo & the Arkansas Valley, and Denver-Metro & Platte Valley.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.