Catalpa

Aurora, CO(Zone 4a)

These catalpa trees were fairly young when my father-in-law bought this house in the late 80's. They bloom beautifully, and are my favorite trees. The top branches no longer bear leaves, and not long ago, a friend was over and commented that what a shame our catalpa trees were dying. I was wondering if this particular species of tree has a short life span - when I was in a very old neighborhood in out city and saw the most magnificent catalpa tree ever with huge trunk and and extremely tall. So that one had to be pretty old, which gives me hope for ours. Does anyone know what sorts of things can be done to help these trees recover, aside from sawing off those top limbs which are no doubt robbing the trees of strength? The 3rd and 4th photos show the base of the trees, one of which is obscured by an invading elm, which we usually try to keep trimmed down, trying to grow in the same spot.

Thumbnail by wingwoman Thumbnail by wingwoman Thumbnail by wingwoman Thumbnail by wingwoman Thumbnail by wingwoman
Aurora, CO(Zone 4a)

With no responses at this point, perhaps more photos will bring some suggestions?

Thumbnail by wingwoman Thumbnail by wingwoman Thumbnail by wingwoman Thumbnail by wingwoman Thumbnail by wingwoman
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I am no expert but I was looking around the web for an answer, but I have a question. Has any construction work been performed around these trees? Was there a heavy weight placed on the root zone? This could have taken place several years ago. I recently became a master gardener and construction damage was noted.

The reason she perceived that the trees are dying are all of those suckers, which trees tend to produce when they are struggling or dying and trying to reproduce themselves. My suggestion for relieving some of the stress is to cut off all those suckers at the base of the tree. They are drawing their energy from the tree and hastening its demise. Just get some sharp pruners and take them off. Disinfect your pruners with a 10% bleach solution as you move between trees.

Aurora, CO(Zone 4a)

Oh! I see. After crawling around under the tree just a little bit, I saw the culprits.
As far as questions regarding construction work around the house. It was built in the 40's a few blocks from Fitzsimons Army Medical Center, and was among those built after the war to house returning servicemen and their families. The Catalpas were there when Dad bought it as a rental property some time in the 80's. Various of his offspring have occupied it over many years. We live next door to it and are now renting it to our nephew. I'll have to have a word with the spouse regarding the suggestion. We have a soft spot for these trees, and have even had people stop by when they're in flower, to comment and ask about them. I'd assume the limbs up top should be trimmed back?
I read on Wikipedia where these trees are the sole source of food for the catalpa sphinx moth. I've not seen any caterpillars on them, but haven't yet looked closely in this 100 deg Denver heat.
Thanks so much for the keen observation!

Thumbnail by wingwoman Thumbnail by wingwoman Thumbnail by wingwoman
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I love catalpas. They are a little awkward as babies, and then they grow into such lovely trees. I had a dear friend who lived on Catalpa Street in Chicago, so named because the street and nearby areas had lots of them.

I don't see any harm in removing obviously dead growth on top but I would try not to cut into any live wood. If you do, the top of the tree may burst into a quite unattractive growth spurt. Start with all those growth points at the bottom, and make sure they get an inch of water once a week.

I looked up catalpa diseases, and there is no obvious culprit.

Another thought. I recently became a Master Gardener in my county and it gives me access to all kinds of resources. And I spend a few hours at the "Help Desk" answering inquiries like this in my county. You might want to contact your county extension office and pose your question. You can probably email them a picture (people do this all the time here). That way, you can get information form someone familiar with your growing conditions, and who possible has addressed this issue before.

It would be terrible to lose your trees. I hope that you can save them.

Donna

Aurora, CO(Zone 4a)

Thanks so much for the additional information. I agree it would be terrible to lose these trees, even if we move on and the property goes to someone else. I'll climb under there with shears, and my spouse will no doubt be getting out his ladder. I appreciate your help!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

You are sweet to write back. Thank you, and I wish you and your trees the best.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.