Spigelia is now here

(Zone 4b)

Here is one of my two spigelia in what is likely full bloom. (I am sure it would be more impressive if it received more direct sunlight).

(This plant does have a bit of a reputation for being a bit iffy returning in the spring, depending on your zone, but I do encourage you to give it a try. My two had no problem surviving last year's Polar Vortex ;) in my zone 4/5. (Planting nearer a foundation wall will definitely help.))

Thumbnail by rouge21

Wow - I think your "full bloom" is pretty impressive. I put two small ones in last year and they both came back and have grown a little. I've only given mine organic starter fertilizer when first planted but haven't fertilized since then.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I have several spigelias - perfectly hardy around here.
I also think they flower best with partial sun.

Thumbnail by Weerobin

Wee - is that one plant? Mine get a little dappled eastern sun but then are in shade the rest of the day. After seeing the pics, I think mine need a little more sun. Will they hold up to partial western sun exposure? Might have to move them in the fall.

(Zone 4b)

Outstanding 'robin!

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I have several plants scattered around. The one which reliably blooms the best is this one.
It's at the western base of a native persimmon tree. So it gets some afternoon sun, but is shaded by mid/late afternoon. Unfortunately, I used to believe it wasn't prone to deer browsing, but the last few years, the one in the picture has been mowed down before blooming. Exasperating to say the least.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Man, what a beautiful plant! I had ordered one this spring but when I was unpacking it, the stem broke off and at the time I didn't know how to root a cutting so my attempt at rooting it failed :( I'd like to order another one or two for next spring though.

Thanks for the siting info. I'll have to give some thought into where to plant here. It might be time for more editing to make repositioning easier.

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

WOW that is an amazing looking plant!! Now I know what to add to my ordering list next Spring for work. :)

Göppingen, Germany(Zone 7b)

This seems like a truely beautiful option to bring some color to the partial shade - Does anyone know a source for this in Europe? all I can google is the homeopathic drug...

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

This is a beautiful plant in bloom but I have not been able to get it to return for more then 2 seasons.

(Zone 4b)

Dont give up 'sempevirens'! (Is there a sheltered spot eg close to your home you could plant it?)

Wow - now that you mention that it doesn't always come back, I'm a little nervous. My two did come back after last winter's beastly weather but then they would have been buried in the snow. This winter, not so much snow. Mine are on the east side of my house, about 4 ft out from the house.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Mine have been reliably hardy & so far, long lived.
The only threat to their survival is deer browsing.

Glad to hear, weerobin. I think the hardiness rating is zone 5 and I would think that if they survived last winter, this winter should not be a problem as long as they're properly sited and happy. Keeping my fingers crossed in that regard.

(Zone 4b)

UPDATE:

I am more and more impressed with this plant. After coming back reliably for now 3 seasons straight I am confident it is here for good ;) (and so I added a couple more of these plants earlier in the summer). The most established one, after putting on a good show in July it is now doing a second but worthwhile lesser rebloom (see below).

You guys and gals further south have outstanding specimens which has always impressed me.

Thumbnail by rouge21
Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

I planted one Spring 2015 on the east side of my house. It was great, bloomed for the whole summer into fall. I tried to save seeds, but there did not seem to be any. I was planning to put net bags around the flowers to catch any seeds this year.
But this year it did not sprout up- until August! There is one little stem about 6" tall.
I am hoping this means it is going to be fine...
Does anyone collect seeds?

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I have had spigelia for 10 yrs or more - all of a sudden I'm finding seedlings scattered around. Just a few, but a nice surprise. And, no I don't collect seeds.

Cadiz, KY(Zone 6b)

Pistil, collecting spigelia seed is tricky. "within one or two days the seed will “explosively dehisce”"

http://www2.ca.uky.edu/HLA/Dunwell/Spigeliaprop.html

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Ahh, thanks Wayne. Next year I will put net bags on the flowers, if my plant survives. It did not grow much, and now is going dormant.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Is this at all invasive? I have heard comments in my garden club.

Cadiz, KY(Zone 6b)

I have had two plants for about six years and have not seen a seedling. I divided mine last summer because I wanted more plants. I have a hard time believing that it would be invasive.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I've got a few seedlings, always appreciated. Not at all invasive around here, which I would think would be similar to your environment, Birder.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.