Winter Damage

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

I had quite a bit of winter damage on one of my deodar cedars. I had some on another one, but it has recovered nicely. I was wondering what I could do for this one. I know that you are not supposed to prune into the wood because it won't grow back, What can I do to save it and make it look better?

Thumbnail by SBounds2 Thumbnail by SBounds2 Thumbnail by SBounds2 Thumbnail by SBounds2 Thumbnail by SBounds2

Your question is very timely for me and I want to "tag along" to see responses. I was wondering about pruning off the dead bits on my 20+ yo Hinoki cypress. Have been waiting patiently for the brown bits to fall off to see what I have left after winter damage. It has recovered beautifully in the past but the damage wasn't as severe. Did give it a dose of Espoma fertilizer back in the spring and water it with diluted leftover coffee. All of the fallen brown bits have made a great mulch.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

No need to do anything at the moment. It should fill out again over the next 2 or 3 years, provided you don't get another bad winter.

Resin

Thanks, Resin. I'm at fault for the damage as I knew better than to not protect it from wind from the north and west and sun from the south. I'm investing in some burlap for this winter.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.