10 yr old climbing hydrangea is sick

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I am spraying my lilacs with Bonnide's Liquid Copper Fungicide for Pseudomonas syringae.

Is this the same bacteria on my climbing hydrangea?

Are these shrubs able to recover from P. Syringae?

Thumbnail by anastatia
Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

I am unaware of P. Syringae bacterium causing issues to hydrangeas. Your picture only had some discoloration that resembles iron chlorosis in hydrangeas and some minor leaf spots that hydrangea leaves get, but nothing in a degree that requires intervention.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

maybe this is a better photo.. dead leaves brittle dry "blooms".
what do you think?

Thumbnail by anastatia
Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Lacecap blooms do not last as long as those on mopheads. Those look like mine did about 2-4 weeks ago down here. I see something that has been eating some of the green leaves ; if the damage is sufficient, it could kill the leaves. But I could not detect that (too many dried out blooms). Leaves that turn brown from the edges inwards would suggest a soil moisture problem.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Thank you. I have snail/slug problems.
I go thru alot of (pet safe) slug bait.

I will cut back on watering.
Would cutting the plant back, including dead leaves etc. help or hinder?

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Oh, wait. Let me rephrase:

Leaves that turn brown from the edges inwards would suggest a lack of enough soil moisture. That means you need more water (normal during the summer months). Revert to the usual watering amounts when the temps go back down in the Fall.

You can remove the dead leaves but be real careful because Climbing Hydrangea develops flower buds for 2015 in July-August 2014. Prune the little "stick" that connects the leaf to the stem. Do not prune the stems as there is where the invisible flower buds are or soon will be.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

thank you thank you
We have had very very warm weather this month. This plant is on the west side of my yard and gets sun til mid-day. After 10 yrs I assumed it was a good spot but maybe too much sun. A row of 5 mop heads are in shade /filtered sun and do very well.

I am afraid I am going to lose my 5 lilacs and this climbing hyd.

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Well, I cannot speak about lilacs with P.syringae but Climbing hydrangea can stand more sun than H. macrophylla in the NE states. I just do not know of anyone growing it in WA; would be nice if someone who grows it there chimes in and says how much sun theirs can take.

Wounds allow the bacteria entry into the affected plant so anything you can do to prevent injuries will help. Unfortunately, a plain ole leaf that yellows out and falls will create an injury technically speaking so you nver know how the trees get infected.

Here is more info:

http://pnwhandbooks.org/plantdisease/pathogen-articles/pathogens-common-many-plants/bacteria-and-other-prokaryotes/diseases-caused-pseudo

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.