Heuchera "Kassandra" in full sun?

Stroudsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

I posted this on the heuchera forum but I'll try here as well. A friend gave me a birdbath that has the same colors as "Kassandra". I have about 8 different Heucheras that all do well in the sun but non of this color. I know I will try it but I just wondered if anyone else had given it a go in sun.

Thumbnail by rteets
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Heya! Just saw this and wondered what result you'd had...

Pretty birdbath! I can just imagine it surrounded by that Heuchera.

Stroudsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Well, so far so good. Some of the leaves are scorched but this is its first summer in the sun so I was expecting that. Everything has grown amazingly however. Here is a recent picture.

Thumbnail by rteets
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Wow, looks great.
What are those shrubs/perennials in the back & left of the picture - with the starry foliage?
Is that a Mother Lode just in front of it?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

that bed looks great! the red grass is holding its color so well... not sure where I'd put something like it, but I'd still like to know the variety. :-)

Stroudsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

As far as the names of plants - the plant on the left of the picture (about 18 in high) is the euphorbia "Ascot Rainbow" and the yellow plant in front of it is Creeping Jenny. Are those the plants you are talking about Weerobin? It is at the end of the rock in the second picture.

The red grass is an annual here in zone 6. Pennisetum setaceum 'Rubrum'. When I saw the very little plant I thought it would not hold its color when grown but I gave it a chance. I have three of them and they are all spectacular with no care whatsoever. I'll put that one in my garden every year! The first picture shows two of them.

Thumbnail by rteets Thumbnail by rteets
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks! 'Rubrum' would be annual here, too, I think... but worth trying! Hmm, maybe it would overwinter in teh basement if dug up? I'm always up for saving a few bucks to stretch my garden budget!

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I didn't realize they are euphorbias but now I can see it. Very full/nice plants.

I like the fact that the Rubrum is annual - while I like the perennial grasses,
many tend to grow too rambunctiously and require annual early spring trim,
which can become quite a chore as they get bigger & bigger.

Stroudsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

You are so right about the grasses. I decided cutting them back was too hard so I burn them. I wait until late winter on a calm day with an inch or two of snow and take a match to them. They are gone in about 20 seconds. Now I really like having them.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Sounds like fun. Unfortunately, not legal here - I'd surely be hauled away by the authorities.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

reets ....... I can't imagine the sun being bad on them in PA. TX sun most definitely is bad! Could it be when birds bath in the water splash it on the plants? Then the sun would burn the leaves for sure.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.