wut nut?

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

A walk in the park.
A grove of pretty trees with almost white bark (ignore the sumacs with darker grey bark).
Went back with camera, found one nut on ground. I have keyed and keyed...
I think it might be Juglans regia (English Walnut=Persian Walnut)?
but the only ones I have seen before were older, and the bark was not like this.
Wut do you think?

Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil

more pics
(some enterprising creature had burrowed into the nut and ate the meat, and left).

Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Look up Heartnut - notice the distinctive cavity in your last image...

Thanks for the tip. I had eliminated the Heartnut because is generally has a point on the bottom of the nut. Now that I investigate Juglans ailantifolia more closely, the Heartnut is one variety of this species (var. cordiformis), there are other varieties and hybrids, some of which seem to have a round-bottomed nut like this, but still with the heart shaped nutmeat. I would plant this if I had room. Also per Seattle based tree experts John and Carol Grant it tolerates heavy soils better than J. regia. So it makes sense it looks so healthy here.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.