What is this???

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

I planted Kennebec potatoes this year and they have been blooming like crazy. After the bloom fades, this is now growing where the bloom use to be. What is this??? Are they used for anything??

I've never seen this on potatoes before.....

:) Glenda

Thumbnail by Glenda_Michigan
Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

those are the potato seed pods. the ONLY use for them would be for saving the mature seeds, because the fruits are just as toxic as the vine itself is.

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

They usually turn a dull brick red, and look like cherry tomatoes. Do NOT confuse them with tomatoes!

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh my stars!

So then I CAN grow potatoes from seed???
Once they turn red, the seeds are mature, right?
How do I harvest the seed from the pod?
If I wait too long, will the pod fall off, or bust open on its own?
Do I just plant the seed in some potting soil and start growing a potato plant?

...I had no idea potatoes made SEEDS! lol

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Yes some , not all ,varieties set seeds. If you want to save seeds just treat them as you would a tomato. Let the pod ripen ( in many cases they will fall off before ri[ening as the plant diverts its energy to producing tubers) remove the seeds, wash and dry. You can ferment if you like. Note that potatoes are hybrids, so you may get different potatoes from seed, but if you like to experiment it can be fun and you may come up with a new variety that you like.

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

Thank you all!! Now I'm excited about harvesting the seeds! :)

Farmerdill, I'm growing Mega Chip White Kennebec Potatoes. Is that a hybrid or open pollinated variety? I've tried to find out online but I haven't had any luck.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Hybrid.

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

Awwww, poo.

Are there any varieties that are open pollinated??

I like to save seeds from my garden.... Guess I'll save these anyways. Can't hurt, I guess.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

There are a few but you don't find them on the open market. Since potatoes are normally reproduced from the tubers, not much point in growing them out to a stabilized form. Ditto for most plants propagated vegetatively.

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

Ahhhhh, gotcha.
Ok, well, thanks for your help, Farmerdill!
You're a blessing in more ways than you know. :-)

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

You can also save the potatoes themselves. If you have a particularly nice plant, save the itty bitty ones as seed potatoes - they would be a "clone"

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

Pollengarden, that's exactly how I've kept growing my potatoes....with seed potatoes. I just had no idea that potatoes made seed pods! And I have tons of pods now! :-D

....I learn something new every day!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.