Summer 2014

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1356343/

It is WAY too quiet here. So, though I do not have alot of blooms right now, here is one of my Rob's Astro Zombie after it got a shower of ceiling dust (after I put 2 swag hooks in the ceiling - so I could hang a light!)

Thumbnail by Syrumani
(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

What a beauty!

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

So pretty! I wish some of mine would start to send up some flowers.
Yes, it is WAY too quite here. I don't come here too often anymore. I get my fill of violet pictures on facebook. It's a shame that everyone went away from here. I used to be very active on the hoya forum until I got hooked on african violets. I still check in once in a while. I don't have any violets blooming now, but I have to take another picture of my new little petrocosmea. She is blooming her head off. She has five flowers and looks like more might be coming.
My camera battery is charging, but I will post a picture tomorrow, as soon as camera is ready. These pics were take a few days ago. The second pic is of one of the buds. It is purple inside. They don't seem to be opening all the way. I don't know anything about them, other than they are so cute.

Thumbnail by imadigger Thumbnail by imadigger

It is a cutie Eileen!

Saco, ME

I'm not sure but I think we're the only 4 here *lol*
Nicole, your Astro Zombie is really blooming her head off and is quite beautiful and happy!
I am SO happy to hear that you are putting a light up :)
Eileen your petrocosmea is so cute! Looking forward to seeing her open flower!
Things are still rockin' on the light stand here. Not a whole heck of alot worthy of pictures right now but lots of tiny things in domes *lol*
Here is 1 that has 2 blooms that I am absolutely in love with.
I have always been a big fan of fantasy blooms for some reason and this one just really gets to me.

Imp's Spirit Warder

Thumbnail by KimsKreations1 Thumbnail by KimsKreations1 Thumbnail by KimsKreations1 Thumbnail by KimsKreations1

Hi Kim,
Sister Connie is still dropping in sometimes and a few others now and then,but just not like the old days..
I am not always a fan of fantasies,but I really like that one!

Lynn

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

I promised I would take pictures of blooming plants. Sorry, don't have any violets yet, but I do have this adorable little petrocosmea that I received from Nichole. Shee is blooming, AND I think she is sending up babies. I see two little stems which look like new little plants. They are not flower buds, so I'm hoping she is propagating.

Thumbnail by imadigger Thumbnail by imadigger Thumbnail by imadigger

It looks like she is !

Saco, ME

Yes Eileen, she is.
Now you have 2 choices you can make. You can:
1. Leave it and let it grow as is
2. Cut it and root the baby in a dome

How exciting huh?

You don't have any violets? Would you like a fall box? I am going to have some babies to share in the fall.

Let me know.

Oh, and your pet is really cute! Great job!

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

OOpps! I see what I said. What I meant was, that I don't have any BLOOMING african violets now. I have become so addicted that I now have two shelf units, each with five shelves. Most of the violets are still babies. I lost alot from tight centers. I didn't take any chances and threw them all out, pots and all. I finally figured out what was wrong, I mat water some of them and I would add water that had 1/4 fertilizer each time I watered. It was a build up of fertilizer in the mats. I stopped fertilizing and instead just repot every 5-6 months. I use MG violet potting soil and perlite, 50/50. And I let my water sit for a few days in gallon jugs to make sure the chlorine has evaporated. So far so good. Just no blooms at the moment. I think I have one sending up a little flower. It's Persian Lace. I keep checking it, but I think there are two in the pot and it's kind of hard to see.

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

I'm glad your pet is doing good for you, Eileen! Yours is looking better than mine! Maybe I should water it? Hmm, will have to think about that . . .

The only other thing I have blooming right now is a seedling I grew from seed I got from the Gesneriad Society . . . it is some kind of sinningia, but from the seed list I got from them, the closest I come to is a hybrid . . . so I guess that means I can name it?

Thumbnail by Syrumani Thumbnail by Syrumani Thumbnail by Syrumani
Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Ok, so it is not a sinningia at all! It is Achimenes erecta 'Tiny Red'!

http://www.gesneriads.ca/achime86.htm

Knew I joined the gessie society for a reason! To learn about new plants!

Good job blooming it indoors!

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Nichole, I have my little pet sitting in a small fishtank with a piece of mat on the bottom. I also have two other small semi-mini violets in it. I pour water until the mat is very wet and so far it's been OK. I watered the pet from the top a few days ago, because I wasn't sure how much water she was absorbing from the bottom. All of a sudden she started to send up more flowers. I'm not sure if that is good or bad. LOL. Plants usually flower when they are stressed and think they are dying. Hmmm!! Anyway that is what I read somewhere, some time ago.

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

If that's the case, they were all dying when I sent them out! Mine still has green leaves, though . . . even after disbudding and removing bad leaves. I think it's just happy. Plants will do that, too, when they are happy!

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm waiting for this pet to finish blooming. I have a little pan, thanks to GGAva's lunch at Chick Fil A. It's a little pan pot (for me) that came with her nuggets and fruit. LOL. I think it's the perfect size. It's 1 1/4 deep by 3 3/4 wide. Once it's re-potted, I'll post a picture.

Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

Hi girls,very pretty pictures of your gessies!

Jan

Saco, ME

I have some blooms to share with you all.
I didn't do individual pictures yet due to laziness and too much going on.
But I will.
The first picture is an overall picture.
Then the last 3 are sections at a time.

Been really enjoying my plant stand every morning. I talk and sing to them *lol* Hubby loves it for some reason *lol* He's sooo cute! He would like to make mini dish gardens and fairy gardens as a winter project together and incorporate some of the mini's in the landscaping. Different themed landscapes. We love talking about it. Maybe we will just do it. I think he enjoys me growing as much as I do growing. How NICE is that? A hubby that takes an interest in yours. I just LOVE it. He is SO my Noah!

Anyways, I hope you all enjoy the array of colors. They truly brighten my day!

Thumbnail by KimsKreations1 Thumbnail by KimsKreations1 Thumbnail by KimsKreations1 Thumbnail by KimsKreations1
Saco, ME

P.S. Did anyone notice the sucker that is growing off a flower stalk on Rob's Whatever chimera in the left hand corner of the 2nd picture? I did the Keiki Grow there and have suckers to remove this fall. I have done that to every chimera I have and they all have suckers started :) Woot! How fun is that? Always trying something new :)

This message was edited Aug 9, 2014 3:01 PM

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

beautiful blooms on your violets. So many!! I have none blooming now, but I do had Sin. Prudence Risley that keeps blooming. I couldn't see the sucker you were talking about. You will have to post a 'better' picture of it. LOL

What a lovely sight to behold Kim! I think I am spotting that sucker.You and your DH will have a ball making mini gardens.Have you been to those threads here? There is some cool stuff there.

Lynn

Saco, ME

If you look in the left hand bottom corner at Rob's Whatever you will see a hot pink label. Right above the hot pink label there is a sucker. The hot pink label indicates to me which stalks I have put Keiki Grow on.

I have not been to the mini garden thread but I am certainly going to check it out and I'm sure hubby will love it too! Thanks for the suggestion Lynn; good idea :)

Kim

Yes,I did spot it.There is a tiny garden thread and a few others about small plants.

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Kim, I found it. I was looking at wrong picture. :(

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Kim - great pix!

I have been wanting to do a fairy garden too, and have joined the fairy garden swap. There is still a couple days left, if you wanted to go take a look: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1370010/

Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

Hey all,

I'm here too. I bought a group on mini and micro sinningeas and another of a variety of Gesneriads a few months ago. All came in tiny pots with wicks through the bottom. Put them on my kitchen table under the somers along with the AV, but last week I noticed some were getting too much sun. Started to repot them and put up a rack I've been meaning to that has a clear cover to make it a mini greenhouse that I want to use during the winter dry-air times. Alsogot one of those mini-greenhouses on a stand that looks like an old-fashioned conservatory from a consignment place. After I spray the tray with rustoleum, I plan on using that for the smaller gesnariads and some small orchids to bump up the humidity. Haven't kept up on the pics, but, when the repotteds look better and start to bloom, will share on here.

Stu

Hi Stu,
Good to see you here!
Sinningias can take quite a bit of light,but the minis don't need as much.I love those old fashioned conservatory stands.You were lucky to find one at a decent price!

Looking forward to those pictures ^_^

Lynn

Saco, ME

Hi Stu!
So good to see you here.
Sounds like you are having fun growing too!
Look forward to seeing some pictures when you get things the way you want them.
Sounds beautiful!

Kim

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Is this the same Kim from years ago??
Hi Kim!!! How are you doing??

Karen

This message was edited Aug 14, 2014 2:33 PM

I am sorry I have not been around here much...
Work and three teenage daughters have kept me running this summer!

I have streps to share...

Some fantasy blooms...
HP
Neil's Wam Bam
DS-February

Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose

Some non-fantasy....

UA-Sunset
Flamenco Dancer
DS-Siberia
Mirage

Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose

And the newest breakthrough in strep hybridizing...
Silvan fantasy!
(Fantasy flowers with a 'Silvia-type' bi-color or pattern)

DS-Rainbow
DS-1056
DS-1051
DS-Meteor Shower

Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose

Hi Karen!
Sure have missed those pretty pictures of yours.They are all spectacular.I think I'm leaning a little toward UA Sunset...but I also love Flamenco Dancer and DS Meteor Shower and...and.....

Lynn

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi Karen. Good seeing your pictures again. You have such beautiful streps. I'm jealous. I got leaves this Spring in a RR and just potted two little babes. I haven't had any luck with them at all. I can get the babies, but end up killing them when they are bigger. LOL I haven't given up yet.

Saco, ME

Woo Hoo......people are starting to come home!
Karen.....WOW, I am SO thrilled to see you!
I remember when I first signed on here, you took me under your wing and send me SUCH a beautiful box to get me going.
I had never heard of a strep before and you got me hooked.
I will NEVER forget your act of kindness my friend; it meant the world to me!
I can see you still have a way with streps! You have some very beautiful blooms there!
GREAT job!
You have no idea just how happy I am to see you!
I say by fall we make this place the place to be! Karen you on that? *lol*

Going to reply to the other threads; so much to catch up on :) That's awesome!

Kimber

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

I'll bet pictures will pop up more for those with kids once school starts (in one more week!!!!!). No, not excited for that at all! (hand over mouth trying to cover snorty-type laugh) . . .

Please don't hurt me, but I tossed my one strep.

I did do something AV'ish today, though. I repotted a few leaf cups and some plants started from seed. Baby plants I ended up with: 4 S. rupicola, 1 Sinningia pusilla 'White Sprite', 2 Rob's Grey Ghost, 2 Ramblin' Ruby, 4 Dark Night of the Soul, and 7 of Wichita Baby. I could have had over 20 of Wichita Baby, if not more . . . but since I'm not growing for a club anymore, I have to be more selective.

Thumbnail by Syrumani

Why did you toss your one strep Nicole?
Weren't you growing some leaf babies of one of Wendy's hybrids?

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

I love seeing all the pictures. I especially love the streps. I can't grow them so I love to see the beautiful pictures. I'm glad to see more people posting again. I don't have much blooming right now, but will post some pictures when I do. I have Sinningia Gutata plants and Kohleria Bogotensis rhizomes to give away if anyone is interested. Maybe we have enough people to have a RR this fall. Any thoughts??? Lou

This message was edited Aug 16, 2014 7:20 PM

Welcome back Lou ^_^.

Lynn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.