More Sumac Photos, as requested

Aurora, CO(Zone 4a)

At the risk of rekindling any debate, I'm providing the "entire tree" photos that may help with an ID. In the case of the sumac, it was used to stabilize the fence which surrounds our private growing area. In order to show all of the tree, the first few photos show the inside of the fence, and the rest are taken from the other side. It's kind of like the five blind men describing an elephant.

Thumbnail by wingwoman Thumbnail by wingwoman Thumbnail by wingwoman Thumbnail by wingwoman Thumbnail by wingwoman
Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Not a sumac. Looks like Ailanthus altissima.

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

If I were you Wingwoman, I'd take a chain saw and cut the tree down, right at the fence support line. It may start to sucker though, I've no experience with this particular tree. Typically invasive species are a bear to get rid of.

Aurora, CO(Zone 4a)

Thanks so much. I'll advise the spouse, and let him decide.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I unfortunately have much experience with this tree.
I have even more experience with the thousands of suckers which will sprout vigorously when it's cut down. For years & years...

Aurora, CO(Zone 4a)

We've been on this property for over 20 years, and we've had elms topple over into the street, and onto a porch canopy. We have elms growing in the middle of rosebushes which must constantly be cut back. Our yards are surrounded with huge lilac bushes which throw off seeds that sprout in our flower bed. Pulling those is a nonstop chore. Assuming I'm correct as to the definition of 'sucker', our Russian Sage throws off suckers which can travel several feet before coming up in surprising places. These sumac trees grow all over our neighborhood, and I feel for folks who have nothing for shade besides these trees.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I feel for people that live in areas like yours that have perfectly good native trees they could plant, but opt for every oddball tree that is from some exotic country - and then complain about how they subsequently behave.

You can call them whatever you wish, but they are not now - nor will ever be - Sumac. They are Ailanthus altissima, and you will wonder why plants you wish to grow continue to die (which will be due to that species allelopathic tendencies).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.