Amorphophallus "Konjac" finally opened!

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

About time!

Thumbnail by tommyr2006
Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Congrats Tommy! I know it is a great feeling.

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

excellent tommy!!!
i guess u all have had chilly,wet,snowy weather out there..
?? how have the temps been??
your grand amophs are off to the races!!!!
:)

noonamah, Australia

Is that later than normal?

Look at these little guys..

Thumbnail by happgarden

tropicbreeze,
Yes it's later than normal. I have another about the same size that hasn't even broke the soil surface yet. The baby / young ones just started opening. I might have to start them a bit early indoors next late winter.

noonamah, Australia

I suppose you can always extend their season by bringing them indoors before the cold starts sending them into dormancy.

Mountain View, HI

Please help solve my confusion. I'm enjoying looking at these pics.

I have what I call Konjac and the leaf has a single stem which goes into a curve and then the leaves all come out on one side. My Konjacs do not open up into that beautiful umbrella kind of shape.

The photos I'm seeing here are more like my Bulbafil. My Bulbafil pot is currently full of cute little seedlings from last years seedhead

If I'm not clear let me know and I'll try and post pics.

thanks.

noonamah, Australia

Pics would be good. But from what you say it seems all the light must be coming from one side, so the plant is leaning towards it.

Does it look like this?
Your description Sounds like Sauromaturm venosum to me.

Thumbnail by happgarden
Mountain View, HI

Thank you happgarden.

That's it exactly. Now I have to relabel. I will google and look at some bloom pics too because I have had good blooms this year. Curious to see if blooms are similar. Also they are prolific. Seem to pop up anywhere.

Not as easy to say as Konjac.

(Also have to go discuss with my neighbor who gave me the plants)

When you described it especially saying circle I had an idea. I would like to get one of those I like the circle.

noonamah, Australia

That's what threw me, when you said "a single stem which goes into a curve". It's actually the rachis that's in a curve.

Mountain View, HI

happgarden - if you are interested in trading please send a D-mail.

tropicbreeze - learned a new word today - rachis.

Mike

Oh went outside this morning and I have a total of 4 voodoo lily babies coming up! 2 open, 1 opening and look close you will see one just breaking ground!

I sent you a dmail Mike.

Thumbnail by happgarden
Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

tommy?? hows the summer been this yr??
how have your konjac done??
central utah here.. its been a nice summer..but nites have
been coolish..:( my tropicals havent appreciated it..
my konjac though have done ok.. my larger tubers have several
petioles per tuber.. 1st yr for that ..for me..
i put many of them in really BIG pots..so im anxious to see if that
encouraged root growth..and i got some nice tubers from that..
its always like christmas in oct.. i get to unpot them all and see how
i did..
i am thinking of hauling in a couple of the big konjac..and giving them an
additional couple months of growing..see if that has any affect on tuber
growth..
id love to grow one of those MONSTER tubers i see every once in awhile..
like 25 inches.. 20 pounds.. :)
hows everyone else done this summer????

Same as you it has been really cool and rainy. We have had only about a week in the low 90's. I grow a big variety of tropicals and they have not been too happy. Doing ok but nothing like years past. I do have about 8 more babies coming up in the pot pictured above. They just keep starting up. Big Bertha the mama is still leafed out.

tropicalnut777,
Summer was very mild this year. 5-6 90 F. days. Tomatoes slow to ripen. Onions didn't get as big as they could. Carrots did alright. Woodchucks pissing me off, time to start trapping and dispatching them.

Only 1 big 'Konjac' grew well, one never spouted but the corm is fine, one came up real late. The babies (corm size about quarter coin in diameter) did o.k. Slow year for them.

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

tommy..was a good yr for tomatoes here..winter squash also..but not so as before
said..for my tropicals..:(
?? you wrote babies did ok.. r u unpotting your konjac already?

We are gonna go down to the 40's end of next week and only up to 60's so I will be bringing everything in hopefully finishing on Monday. Saying Denver may get snow now I know they are about 4,000 feet higher than I am but I think winter is coming early. My hope is that we don't have any dropping polar vortexes this winter.

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

wow..i hope ya get everything in before the cold joyce!!
i see on weather websites..projecting next week 25 degrees lower than "normal" temps next week
for most of the central part of country..colorado east..
i hope we get another couple weeks of "ok" nite temps..
i am getting things arranged for the move of my tropical amorphs.. already talked to neighbour
kid for his help lifting.. biggest pots ..both 80 gallons..i think im gonna borrow another neighbours
dolli. i'll be a scene..im sure many neighbours are gonna talk."what is doing now??" LOL
funny..they always come to me for compost,gardening help though..:)
i am anxious to see how my konjac and other species tubers did this growing season..
ive figured out a couple konjac pots i wanna take in..and let them have another month or so
growing..if it makes a difference in larger tubers.. of course ..i dont know how big they r right now
so..mm..not a real scientific test.. sigh..
good luck to ya joyce!!!!

tropicalnut777,
No not unpotting them yet! "did o.k." means so far so good! Should have been more specific maybe. I don't unpot until the leaf stalks flop over.

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

i figured so..:) i do the same.. this yr could be earlier than "normal"..
usually mid oct for me.. would love for weather to not get real cold soon..
i dont have much control on that though..sigh..:(

I am bringing mine in today getting ready for the cold spell. Hopefully they will stay leafed out for awhile longer.

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

its rained.heavy last 2 days..flooding in some parts of utah..
grateful for the rain.not the flooding.. nite temps mid 50sF..
i can hold off for awhile.. see what next week brings..
fall is comming for sure.. sigh..

Rain coming here. Up to 4 inches of rain expected, nothing like you all of gotten out west.
All tropicals are in. I have the sore muscles to prove it.

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

we are drying out today..some areas in s.utah got alot of rain..like
arizona..wow!
ya..my smaller potted tropical amorphs are in the house now..
mmm.sigh.. the big ones r gonna have to come in this weekend..
i think im feelin your achy breaky back too joyce..lol

Some areas around here got 4 inches of rain. But the cold is the worse thing. 51 right now, down in the 40's tonight. Raining now... I have about 98 pct of the plants in. They have really grown over the summer and I am going to have to do alot of trimming. I can barely move in the garden room. I think the cat is claustrophobic right now!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.