Ground eggshells

Appleton, WI

I have put crushed eggshells in my worm bins bit they don't touch them. Does anybody grind dried eggshells to feed. Is it helpful to feed them to the worms or would it be just as beneficial to mix them into the castings after harvest. If you just mix them into the castings what ratio do you use?

New York City, NY

I find that I have to pass the egg shells through my coffee grinder to make a powder or else they don't seem to touch them. I can not attest to how much they do or don't like them, just that they are added and no trace of them is left in the end. Hope this is of help to you.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I put the half egg shells in the compost and they used them as incubators. They would probably do the same in the worm bins.

Grants Pass, OR(Zone 8a)

The worms do eat out any left over egg. They don't have the teeth to break up the bigger shells but I have sometimes found hundreds of baby worms in them.

Goshen, OH

Egg shells just helps the PH level in your bin

Bedford, VA(Zone 7a)

The egg shells aren't eaten by the worms unless they are very finely crushed. They serve the same purpose as grit does for birds, helps them digest their food as they don't have teeth. Eggshells also, as red neck says, help lower the pH in the bin

San Marcos, CA

Eggshells not only benefit the worms with calcium and
egg-hatching locations but eggshells contain substances
that help encourage and improve the reproductive cycle
of the redworms. And, of course, balancing the pH of your
bins.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.