Fall Plant Swap Stepping Stone Project

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Along with our regular swapping, visiting and eating fun we thought we would include a fun project making stepping stones.
Ric will have the stones already made and ready to be decorated. They are going to be round (about 12 inches across) or oval about 12 X 16 inches. I was thinking that the best time to work on the SS would be after lunch when most of the greeting, swapping and eating is mostly done. But we are going to have the work area all set up so that people can work on their stones all day long as they get a chance. It is an easy project to work on for a little and then walk away and come back.
We are providing mostly everything you will need. We have stain glass pieces and ceramic tiles that can be broken up. But if you would like to you can bring your own things to decorate your SS. You will want solid flat things some suggestions are coins, buttons, keys, glass pebbles, decorative stones, broken plates or pottery. You will need to bring a sponge, just basic kitchen sponge and a small plastic container (large enough to hold 2 cups of water) like a cool whip or large margarine container.
The decorating process is really easy, you design your mosaic right on the SS and after you have your design in place you glue each piece in place and wait 5 min then we will mix up a little cement in your container and pour it over the top, give it a few mins to set up and then wipe the excess off with your sponge.
You might want to get a few ideas before you come and if you do a search for Mosaic Stepping Stones you will find all kinds of interesting ideas. You might enjoy looking at this thread.
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/151855818655645427/
We would like an idea of who is going to do the Stepping Stones so if you think you will be interested in doing this please let me know on this thread. Questions and Chatting about the project go on this thread, too. We hope that many of you will want to do this project it is a lot of fun and so interesting to see how different everyone's projects turn out.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Stepping Stone Makers
Donner
Gita
Catmint
Aspenhill
Catbird
Roses
Speedie
SSG
Muddy
Sally
Unomeemaw
Jan

This message was edited Sep 4, 2014 5:55 PM

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Holly, that sounds fun. So thoughtful of you! I have never made a stepping stone, and cannot wait to try it.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Keys????? I have a bowl-full of asst. keys! Saved forever....
Wonder what would go with them???

I guess I am signing up.... Gita

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

What a wonderful project and so generous of you to set everything up for all of us to enjoy! Count me in!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Count me in too!

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

Of course I want to make one too! Will check my stuff to see what kinds of embellishments I can bring to share.

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

Wow!! If I'm able to come, I'll definitely sign up for this. What an unexpected bonus!!

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

You can DEFINITELY count me in as well, please. And THANK YOU!!

I'm looking forward to it! Thank you so much for doing so much of the work in advance!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Those of you that have the nice Atlas gloves might want to bring them. I quite often wear mine when I work with the larger pieces of glass or when breaking the pieces.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Holly: Those are beautiful. I think I will sit in the audience, in awe!

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Holly, I'd like to make one. I can't think of a better way to use decorative stones I've had sitting around forever!

Muddy, where'd you get those decorative stones? I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out what I can bring with me to decorate my stepping stone, but I haven't come up with anything yet. I guess I could deplete my "button collection"... most of the clothes they came from are probably long-gone donated now anyhow. ;)

We've got this really cool recycled crushed glass (multi-colored) stuff at work... would that work? The bits are about pea-sized, but not necessarily flat. It looks like this...

Thumbnail by speediebean

Speedie, that's an interesting idea about the button collection! I too have a box full of old 'extra' buttons from clothes I probably no longer have... Just not a lot of color though--tons of white, blue, gray, black...

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

If you have a specific idea or items you want to bring that is great but if you don't we will have plenty of stain glass and ceramic tiles for you to work with.
Speedie I don't think the crushed glass will work for the swap day project.To use the crushed glass you would have to put down a thick layer of glue and then pour the glass over it and see what sticks or you could also mix the glass into the glue and then spread the mixture on to the stepping stone. Might be a project for you to try at home later.
I did try laying down a layer of glue and then pouring small pebbles into the glue and bushing off what didn't stick. Looks OK now but we will just have to wait and see how it holds up. Check out the bottom of this stepping stone.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I imagine I will want to do this when i'm there, who can resist?
I can share some small rectangles of thick mirror, and some pieces from fruit bowl sort of hanging fixture we took down. It's really hard to get the glass out of it, but maybe when I put a little more muscle in and get it going, it will ease up.

very cool stone Holly!

This message was edited Aug 15, 2014 7:42 AM

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Hmmmm....
I have a big tin full of buttons....a margarine bowl full of keys--collected since
my kids were babies. I started saving keys because one of them liked to
teethe on my car/house keys.

I also have flat marbles...need to start sleuthing through all my junk...

BTW--Speedie--you can buy any flat-sided marbles and polished small stones
at Michaels--or any Craft store. Probably--lots more stuff than I can think of
right now...

MY future stepping stone need not be pretty or decorative.
It will be used in the bed right by my Bird bath so I can step on it to reach the BB,
Mostly--it will be invisible...

G.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Gita, I have seen your artistic talents and I am sure that your SS will be both practical and beautiful.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Awww, Holly---thanks-

It may turn out beautiful if I had loads of time to work on it....alone..
So far--I have absolutely NO "visions" in my mind of what i will do on it.

This will be in a "group setting" with limited time and many other people.
Too many other "factors" playing a role here.,,,for me, anyway.....

It will be fun, though. G.

I will sort through my button collection and bring what is suitable (no cloth-covered stand-uppy kind), and will be very glad to share with anyone who wants some. :) Thank you for the ideas, and for the heads-up about Michael's, I'll have to check them out soon! I'm with Sally, I'm sure I'll want to do this in the group setting, so I promise not to be a difficult child. =)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh we don't have any difficult children in this group. Just loving, caring, generous and talented children. Maybe a challenging child on occasion. LOL

Like Gita, I have no idea in mind right now. But we could practice on a circle of paper. I'm thinking a flower with keys for petals would be cute.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Speedie, I have smooth stones that went through rock polishers eons ago and also rough stones we collected when panning for gemstones decades ago. I'll go through my basement and see what I can find.

Holly, I love that stepping stone. The glass is a great idea.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

The stepping stones I'm making will be 11"s in diameter. If anyone has a special request for a size, Dmail me. I should be able to accommodate a few request. So if anyone is doing their pattern at home (not necessary) you'll know what size you will need

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally--that is a cute idea...keys for flower petals....hmmm...this could flesh out...
.I still have not dug through my junk to see what I have.
Thing is--it has to be sturdy and unbreakable as it will be outside--
and i will be stepping on it a lot.

G.

Thanks Ric!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I sent out a Group Blast D-mail for our Addy, a few directions for when you get close and phone #'s if you need to call. If you didn't get a D-mail from me please let me know. Thanks.

Leesburg, VA

Thanks Holly & Rick. I would love making a stone

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Unomeemaw, Great I have added your name to the list of participants.
Everyone please check the list at the top to make sure your name is on it so I haven't missed anyone. Thanks.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Is it too late to add me to the participants?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

OK! since I am "behind the times" what does this battle cry mean---if anything..

Unomeemaw! G.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Unomeemaw is the DG name of my neighbor friend Cheryl.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks, terri---
now--does this break down to read-------Uno---Mee--Maw
to, maybe, translate---------One--Me--Mother???

????

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Her grandchildren call her MeeMaw, and years ago one of them called her the number one grandma - must have been learning Spanish numbers at the time. Anyway, the name has stuck :)

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

It's a lovely name! What a sweet story.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Adding you to the list Jan. We will have extra stones so if anyone decides on the day of the swap there will be materials. We just needed to have an idea of how many.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Holly--or anyone---

Can you throw out some more ideas for what to decorate the stones
with other than keys and colored glass chards. Oh--also flat, colored marbles.

Will whatever we put om be embedded in the concrete with only
the tops showing?
I am pulling too many blanks......
Thanks, Gita

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes, Gita what ever you put on the stepping stone will be embedded and only the top will show. Go to pinterest and do a search for mosaic stepping stones to get a few ideas. We will have plenty of colored glass for everyone. You may if you want to bring other things if you have a specific idea of what you want but there is no need, too.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Ohhhhhh I am going to miss this. I missed the one at the HGA picnic & now I am going to miss this one, too. Bobbin & I will be doing the Central Pa Rock & Mineral Club Show in Harrisburg at the Zembo Temple at 3rd & Division Streets on Sept 13 & 14 from 10-5 Sat & 10-4 Sunday.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.