beets

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Can you grow beets in straw bales? If so how and when should I plant them?

Saylorsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Root type crops are hard to grow in bales unless you add a lot potting mix and make it deep enough for the beet to develop. I have never tried growing them in the bales. But I think it could work well in a composted bale the next year. People have had success growing potatoes in the composed bales. I have some 3 year old and plus bales that have turned into almost soil. I still use that for just tomatoes, eggplants and squash but am thinking that "soil" might be ideal for beets and carrots next year. It is certainly worth a try. If you have some bales going this year they should continue to break down over the winter and be good for next year. You can still add potting mix if necessary and do amend them with compost, manure and basic nutrients.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

yes, these bales are two years old and really starting to breakdown. I think I may just give it a try.

Saylorsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Please let us know how it works out!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh no, the ole beets got tossed out by mistake. Dang it anyways. Well, so much for that, May just have to rethink this whole thing.

Saylorsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

You have to plant the beets from seed so can probably still sow them for a fall crop.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

OH!!! I have never planted beets so I will do that today. I just need to go to the feed and seed and pick up some seeds. Going to get some pumpkins too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.