Wonderful lily!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm hoping someone here can help me identify a beautiful asiatic lily I saw on a garden tour in Pennsylvania I went to this weekend I'm kicking myself because I didn't get a picture of it. It was the most beautiful dusky dark salmon color. I immediately fell in love. I MUST have it!!

Anyone know of a lily that color?

Appreciate any help you can provide!!

Just put my first lily in the garden this year....I may be in trouble!

Thumbnail by joycet
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

'Salmon Star' comes to mind but it really isn't all that dark. Maybe 'Blazing Dwarf' or 'Easy Salsa'?

This message was edited Jul 14, 2014 5:01 PM

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh thanks! Can't wait to look those up! :o)

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Not Easy Salsa for sure. Closest thing I saw on Mikes list was "Selene". Anyone have that?

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Looks like maybe it is Seline or Selina.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Selina looks too pink on the Lilynook site....this is so hard!!

Not Salmon Star. It's an Asiatic.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I don't think it's an Asiatic. I think it's an Oriental double, judging by the spots and the shape. As an example of what an oriental double looks like, please see this one on B& D's website. It looks like a lighter version of your lily, and it is identified as an Oriental double.

http://www.bdlilies.com/l7124.html

Hey! Just found this!

http://www.bdlilies.com/l7030.html

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

The lily in the picture is the one I bought earlier this year. It is in fact an oriental. It's the asiatic I'm trying to identify.

The lily pictured is "Roselily Belonica", fell in love with her, too!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Isn't 'Salmon Star' an Asiatic? I'm confused (that's nothing new).

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Um, well, no. It's a gorgeous Oriental. It is confusing, especially with so many lily types now (I remember asking what the heck an Orienpet was).

https://store.brentandbeckysbulbs.com/summer/productview/?sku=84-104

Tip offs:

Intense scent. Very few asiatics have much of a scent, although there are a few. Salmon Star has a yummy scent. If it has a scent that knocks you out, it's probably an oriental, longiflorum, or trumpet or a mix of the above, like an Orienpet (Oriental crossed with a trumpet), an 'LA' (longiflorum crossed with a asiatic), and 'LO' (longiflorum crossed with an oriental). And the list goes on.

Coloring: if, in addition to a scent, a lily has a soft color, and the color in the center is different than at the tips, it is more likely to be some kind of oriental, perhaps a blend. If it's really big, it might be an oriental/trumpet cross. Of course, there are one color orientals, like Casa Blanca, but then the flocking (the pebbly texture of the petals) indicates that it is an oriental.

You bet it's confusing. And it's no big deal, unless you are using lilies for a special occasion. I use one stem of an oriental to perfume a whole room. I cut a single flower of 'Sorbonne' two days ago and I can still smell it when I enter the house. If you have a full bouquet of 'Casa Blanca' at a dinner party no one will be able to smell the food!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

It's definitely not Salmon Star. I've had that one for many years and it's color is salmon, not pink.

Thumbnail by pirl
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I don't think Joyce has a picture of the one she's trying to identify. At least that's the way I read the original post.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Guess what! I forgot I took a picture of it with my phone!

Hopefully this will help.

Thumbnail by joycet
Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

See? It's such a hard color to describe!!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Cville (how well your handle describes you!) I realized that, finally, yesterday when O reread the post from the top. Thank you for being so gracious in pointing out my error.

Yes, that IS tough to describe!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Well, it's beautiful!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Love that, Pirl. Don't you think they look like triples? Such beauty....

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Gotta have it!!

Tag says Oriental.

Thumbnail by joycet

I misunderstood, C'ville! Sorry.

The one Joyce posted, that she took by phone, is Coral Sunrise:

Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

That's okay, pirl. Coral Sunrise is gorgeous!

My error! It's 'Royal Sunset'.

I bought it through at B & D a few years ago.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Got it. :)

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

The one I took on my phone doesn't look so yellow in the center as either of those. Does it fade to that color? Like I said I'm really new to lillies and haven't a clue as to how they behave!!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Joyce, Does this look like the Lily you want? Dmail me if it does. I can give you a bulb.

Thumbnail by taylordaylily
Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Yes, I think it does!! Karen, I'm so excited! Do you know the name?

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

I don't know the name. It was suppose to be Monte Negro. Lol I'll dig it for you once the foliage dies back some more.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

YAY!!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

A happy ending!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Well done!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

YAY! :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.