Sumac Tree - Of What Type?

Aurora, CO(Zone 4a)

Seems like a silly question, but this is regarding a tree that's abundant in our neighborhood. We've had (what my spouse refers to as) Sumacs on our property for awhile now, and I'm wondering now what kind we have. Google searches have revealed that several varieties seem to bear flowers and/or berries, etc. Our tree turns fall colors, beginning with leaves toward the top. The leaves change color and curl up into a spiral, eventually falling off and causing much raking of the yard and spousal grumbling about those dang Sumac trees, and how messy they are. Can someone tell me more about this controversial tree?

Thumbnail by wingwoman Thumbnail by wingwoman Thumbnail by wingwoman Thumbnail by wingwoman
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Yes - and this is not a Sumac (Rhus sp.) in the least. It is a very invasive species, though.

Suggest instead of grumbling that your spouse invest in an inexpensive tree identification book. Michael Dirr has written a few.

Posting images for identification should always start with showing the whole plant. You haven't done that here, nor in a previous thread you started. Showing only small (albeit interesting and colorful) parts of a plant doesn't usually tell enough of the story to provide identification.

I bet that there are more than a few other folks here that will be able your plant(s) from those images - as could I.

I'd rather you provide a full suite of images of all parts of the plant, and then everyone can learn something about identification.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Ailanthus altissima

Resin

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

I can see why someone might mistake the leaves for sumac, as they are similar. In fact, although I knew this as the 'Tree of Heaven', another common name is 'Chinese Sumac'. But they are not sumacs. Check out this similar recent thread about your tree. They really are invasive, and I see why they are 'controversial' in your neighborhood.
Good luck!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1364779/#post_9866724

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

The reproductive parts of the two species are not at all similar - and that is what is represented in the images provided.

And what mlmlakestevens states buttresses Resin's strong argument for a single common name!

Way to resuscitate an especially over-the-top rant...

Aurora, CO(Zone 4a)

Thanks for the info. I can see why you'd need more complete photos of the entire tree. With the previous thread I started, I did go back and post several more photos of the tree from several angles, but probably should have started a new thread. Incidentally, once I post a reply to a reply, there's no link to close the thread, as I'm about to do with this one - if I can. Thanks again!

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

wingwoman-I am not sure but I think the only forum that 'closes' threads is the Plant Identification forum, which would also have been an appropriate forum for your question. There are a lot of really knowledgeable folks who hang out there!
VV- Oh, perhaps some rants might be a bit over the top, but anyone who spends any time here quickly learns that any 'rants' are just the 'Masters' among us making sure sure sure that we 'Grasshoppers' get things right! ( I am showing my age. Yes I did watch 'Kung Fu' on TV way back when).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.