Wildlife Critters, Big and Small - #13

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

You've arrived here from Critters, Big and Small - #12. Continue to enjoy and share.

You came from: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1272464/#new

I was in my yard snapping some bird pics when this dragonfly got my attention. It was darting around, here and there and just wouldn't pose for me. Then, I remembered my idea of a "d-fly perch" (I described it early on in #12 of this series). So, I stuck one end of a straightened clothes hanger into the ground - it worked again, the rascal landed in it.

1- about the only decent pic in about 50, and it isn't that good.

2- after if landed on the top of the hanger.

3- another on the hanger

Hack

This message was edited Jul 13, 2014 9:46 PM

Thumbnail by TheHackster Thumbnail by TheHackster Thumbnail by TheHackster
Monkton, MD(Zone 6b)

I watched this dragon fly stalking a hummingbird so I started stalking it. It was the largest dragon fly I have ever seen. It sat on the sidewalk and I thought it would go after the grasshopper nearby but it was patiently waiting to catch another dragon fly. It took it up on our roof to devour it.

Thumbnail by ottahand7 Thumbnail by ottahand7 Thumbnail by ottahand7
Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Wow, ottahand7, those are some nice pictures. I've never seen the likes of your last one. Nice, clear shots.

Hack

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Great dragonfly shots, love the big green eyes.

A dragon fly I caught, they usually fly off when I get this close, I think it was sleeping.
An anole on my birdhouse.
This crab had to be injured by the storm, because they usually don't let me get this close.
Jellyfish washed up by the storm, didn't touch it to see if it was still alive.

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the new thread, Hack!

Great shots, all!
Glad this thread is active again. I always enjoy it.
Here are a few more pics.

1) Some sort of Damselfly.

2) Tufted Bird Dropping Moth (Cerma Cerintha) (ID'd by CA_Ivy)

3) This Mallard Drake thinks he's a weathervane

4 & 5) One of our local Does came to visit with her newborn Fawn recently

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature
Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

sunkissed, nice shots. Especially the one of the damselfly.

You're welcome, nuts. I was surprised to see the tread dormant for so long - I've always enjoyed it, too. That moth of yours is really pretty, But the doe and her fawn are priceless.

Hack

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks, Hack!

My husband and I saw another fawn early this evening on our way home from some shopping. The mom ran across the road and part way up a hill just as we were approaching. We stopped to let the fawn cross, but it got frightened and ran into the shrubbery. The mom stood and waited, looking kind of tense. So after we slowly drove past my husband watched in the rear view mirror as the baby crossed and ran to mom...sooo sweet.

I'm glad you revived this thread, sometimes I lose threads I watch and forget about them, but I like the critter shots. Thanks Hack, looking forward to the critters, got to send Lily a message, she captures lots of critters too.

The fawn is so precious, but I really like the duck up there, funny. I was reading yesterday how damsel and dragon flies eat mosquitoes, so they are very welcome in my garden.

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

My daughter-in-law, Maegan, and son, Tim, live in the country here in Ga on 13 acres. My son bush-hogged a path through some woods to serve as a short cut up to their house. The other day she told me that she spotted a little fawn laying in the center of that path. She honked her horn and the baby didn't move (that's what fawns do) - Maegan told me she actually had to get out of her car and approach the fawn, before it got up and took off. She said she got about 5-6 feet from it before it decided to take off. She said it was just the prettiest little thing.

Hack

Monkton, MD(Zone 6b)

Two beautiful frogs that I spotted the last couple of days. The green one was in my garden and "Zorro" was in the woods.

Thumbnail by ottahand7 Thumbnail by ottahand7
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

ottahand7, great pix. of the green one, and that of "Zorro". :)

To everyone, sorry I haven't been able to add any interesting photos to share lately. So here is a start. A BIG critter in the garden. My aging, beloved "Jelly Bean".

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

♥♥♥

Monkton, MD(Zone 6b)

Here is really small wildlife but a big bee on liftoff from Monarda. No butterflies here other than Skippers and Cabbage Whites but our bee population seems normal.

Thumbnail by ottahand7
Monkton, MD(Zone 6b)

I was watering in the garden yesterday and heard a commotion in the Nepeta. The large garter snake was eating a frog. He was photo shy hiding in the plant until he was done. He allowed this photo when he finished his frog.

Thumbnail by ottahand7
Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

ottahand7, you have some really nice shots. I really liked the green frog and the garter snake.

Hack

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Speaking of Green Frogs. I have had this one in my pond for the past month or so. Silent though. I keep waiting for that "banjo" sound, but nothing. So maybe it's a girl.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Monkton, MD(Zone 6b)

Here is a lovely Leopard Frog that I spotted by the walk a day ago and a pair of large bees in shadow of one another on Echinops.

Playing catch up, great critter shots, Cool frogs, smiling snake, big bee and cute pup.

A couple turtles I photographed while we were kayaking on the river last month...
And a big white bear in my backyard ☺

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Great shots. Oh my cute "big white bear".

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Love all the shots! Great variety.

I don't see many Dragonflies in my yard, but this one type was around for a week or so and also some Damselflies. Flapdoodle and, new member, Sanuye were kind enough to provide ID's in the Insect ID forum.

1-3) Dragonfly - White-faced Meadowhawk (Sympetrum obtrusum)

4) Damselfly - Slender Spreadwing (Lestes rectangularis)

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

This is what happened when I didn't get some of my bird feeders taken down last year. :)

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

What's going on in there? Is it a nest or just a swarm?

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

ICK!

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

Last winter I put black Sunflower seeds in the feeder close to the house, and cracked corn further out. The theory was that the Eurasian doves & squirrels would stay farther away from the house. But I was surprised to find that the cracked corn attracted honey bees on warmer winter days. I guess I was lucky I didn't get wasps!

Now if Anyone ever needs to know how to build a wasp house, now we know how to do it ...

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Quote from Mrs_Ed :
What's going on in there? Is it a nest or just a swarm?

It appears to be a nest. Definitely protected from the weather. lol.

Yep. that's some prime real-estate right there.

Nut's really nice dragonfly shots, I like the blue eyed one.

I have that exact bird feeder sitting empty on a pole in my garden, I 'm going out and taking it down now...LOL. We stopped feeding the birds after it was attracting rats.

A Wren fledgling perched in a tree right outside my screen room during a heavy rain storm, they just left their nest about two hours before this shot.
Our friendly squirrel checking out my camera lens

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks, sunkissed! Adorable Wren & Squirrel!

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

nuts, those are some really nice dragonfly shots.

Cville, how'd you get rid of them - Raid, Hotshot? I always remind my deer-huntng friends to check their deer stands for bees - they can really mess you up.

I run the squirrels off - they consistently chew on my feeders - I had to replace three feeders just the other day.

Hack

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

A lot of wasps die in the winter due or go into torpor due to cold weather and lack of food. I'm waiting to see what happens. As long as I don't bother them, they don't bother me. So I'm watching and waiting. I may hang their little feeder over the back fence and observe.

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

I wonder what all those weird symbols mean?

Hack

This message was edited Sep 25, 2014 1:19 AM

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Hack - I sent a message to Admin. yesterday about it. The problem seems to be site-wide and just started yesterday.

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Humm, the symbols are gone.

Hack

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh, that was fixed days ago. The new one...now fixed...was all the dates on the left side of the posts were in another language. Ha ha...aren't computers fun?

Monkton, MD(Zone 6b)

I am getting caught up looking at all the lovely new photos. Here is what has been happening here in MD the last few weeks.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

Here are some critters from my yard yesterday....

Thumbnail by memays Thumbnail by memays Thumbnail by memays

Nice photos, the hawk almost looks like a young hawk.

A Cuban frog jumped out from under my Merry Christmas sign when I went to adjust it.
Look close and you can see the lizard that lives in the birdhouse.
Ospreys in the trees and Heron drying wings captured while on my bike ride.

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi all, so glad to rediscover this thread, happy New Year, and please keep those terrific pictures coming. :)
Kim

(Zone 5a)

memays, I think your hawks might be adult Red-shouldered Hawks. I really like their tail pattern when in flight.

I do not have any recent critter photos other than birds, but here is one from a couple of summers ago. We were very surprised to see a mole out in the daylight, but we were in the middle of a drought. We do not have moles very often, but do not mind them.

Thumbnail by Chillybean

How interesting to see a mole drinking out of a bird bath, must have been pretty thirsty.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.