Japanese beetle control

West Orange, NJ

Japanese beetles have taken over our sweet potato leaves. The leaves look like lace! What's the best way to get rid of these pests? Thanks in advance.

Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

I answered this in the vegetable forum, here is how I got the answer I posted:
Look up information about Japanese Beetles. Life cycle, diseases they get and what controls them.
There are many methods, none of which are 100%, but combining several ought to give you a pretty good level of control.

West Orange, NJ

Thanks, Diana.

Bowling Green, OH

One idea to consider is next year to plant less of what the Japanese beetles like and more of what they don't eat. I don't think you will ever solve the problem because the wind will constantly blow more beetles from your neighbors to you. Also they will fly to your yard even without the wind. I cut out a gallon milk jug, put in some water and knock them into it. They can't get out and you don't need to make it soapy water or add anything to the water. At any rate, check out this article: http://www.almanac.com/content/japanese-beetles . Here in Ohio the Japanese beetles like my blackberry, raspberry, and rose plants. By the way, I used to live in West Orange where you live.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.