Japanese Red Pine

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Weerobin-I do have a Pinus densiflora, but it is the plain species not the totally cool one you showed me on the Red Pine thread (neefman sorry I hijacked it but it really was unintentional). The bark is already getting reddish (at least I hope it is this species...).
I planted this in 2010, it was maybe 4 feet tall. It is growing great! It has nice soft needles, and this year is making some cones. A local garden guru said it does not get huge here, but as it grew 2 feet this year I doubt this is true. I liked it so much I decided to try growing it from seed, so I wintersowed this year and have 2 seedlings. I had a vague thought of growing it under my Pinus nigra for a few years, then when the P. nigra had to go eventually due to the many-leader issue, it would already be growing there. But now I find it wants full sun so this was an ignorant idea. I don't know where the seedlings will go now but it was fun to sprout anyway.
In a year or two when I have mature cones I will add them to this thread, or if someone else has some they could add them now.

Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I have a p. densiflora also (straight species). Mine is tall and lanky w/ sparse branching.
Bark is vaguely reddish and a little exfoliating, but nowhere near the red of umbraculifera.
Both are about the same age, so the difference isn't a maturity issue.
I'm not sure I can get a picture of a cone, since tree's too tall.
I'll post some pictures later today if I find a picture with anything interesting.
Yours is way more densely foliaged than mine - I'm not sure if due to climate or soil.
Mine is growing in full sun, but in shallow soil over a limestone outcropping.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Here are some pictures of my pinus densiflora.
I shot about 10 pictures of cones with my camera at peak zoom and the image shaking so much that most of the shots ended up with only a small piece of cone showing. But amazingly, one came out OK, so here it is.
You can see how sparse the foliage is on mine.
And the bark is nicely flaky, but not much red.

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

That cannot be the Wee residence - I distinctly see sky.

Wee all know you garden in the dark...

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

OK, VV's sleuthing has debunked the myth!
I actually have a couple conifer berms in full blazing sun down by the road!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.