Yardening #4 - July 11, 2014 and beyond

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Yak yak yak about yard stuff. What's generally going on in the yard/ landscape? Newbies welcome, lurkers encouraged to shout out!
Came from
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1366556/
where our intrepid hero Sequoiadendron has just vanquished The Inspector!

This message was edited Jul 10, 2014 9:42 PM

Thumbnail by sallyg
Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Wow, Seq, what an experience! I hope that the mysterious ailment is a no-show in your yard, and that in the meantime you get some free professional advice on your sequoia! :-) LOL about the selfie with the inspector!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I got a good start on the veggie garden, and turned my efforts to the pool as the grands were coming to swim. Their visit went off well, and Holly saved the day by bringing me gummy bears home when she was out running Josh this AM. Gotta' have gummies. LOL Saw my GP this afternoon, she said mostly good things and said my pain mgt. staff are doing a top notch job in her eyes.
Your news sounds encouraging Jeff.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Sounds encouraging, indeed!!!

Good news also for you, sir Ric! Woohoo!!

Ric--glad to hear the news from the GP--and hooray for those gummies! :-)

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Haha...nice VV, she wasn't the 'selfie' type. She was probably in her upper 50s and took her job very seriously, which was good I suppose. Yeah it was definitely interesting I'll say. I am glad I left work to be there. The plastic bags on her feet were a trip for sure.

Sounds like a hoot Seq! And also very interesting. I would definitely have wanted to be there too!

ok now I am REALLY done planting. I found some stragglers of marigolds I kept finding and forgetting and finding and forgetting...
Now things have totally grown in for the year I have to trim and pull and otherwise 'edit' the garden. A lot.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Haha I know what you mean about 'editing' the garden. I'll have to wait until the spring for any more 'editing'...

Really REALLY done spring planting - found a couple leftover caladiums. That led me to some caladium up-potting. I really am liking the caladiums we got.
They could work well as a coverup to daffodil foliage.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Sally, Now I don't feel so bad, knowing that you are still planting. LOL I should have worked in they yard yesterday but went to the River and spent the day playing with the Grands, instead.

I like that idea of caladium as daff foliage cover! :-)

Holly, glad you had a nice day playing with the grands! The River sounds like a nice place to be on a summer day.

Seq, what an interesting experience!

I'm actually itching to do some editing in my backyard. I'm looking forward to the start of the fall swap thread! :)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes, It sure is. The twins have been going there all their lives. Their father had a camping spot on the river before they were born and they really know their way around. Josh had his first boat when he was 10 Ric gave it to him as a BD present and he would get up in the morning and take his little boat out by himself and fish before any of the adults were up and moving around. Our family has a flotilla, speed boats, pontoon boats, fishing boats, kayaks, canoes. I should have taken my camera but was worried about getting the new camera wet. Jen's children Lily & Lucas are just big enough to go off the big rope swing into the river. It's on a high bank and if that isn't high enough for you there is a tree with boards nailed in that you can climb up to get even higher. LOL Jen and friend Jean are preparing for a Ti-Athlion a short one, first leg is swimming in the River up near Harrisburg's City Island so we were down there for them to do a few practice swims. While the Mom's were swimming around our local "Sandy Beach Island" I played with the kids. Then lunch a walk up the island to the rope swing, then Grams and Lily & Lucas swam (with current and kids in vests) back to the end of the island and Sandy Beach. Then took the Pontoon Boat into deeper waters where Jean's daughter a pre-teen could practice backflips from the boat railing and the younger ones could jump off the boat deck (they were going off the railing before we left). LOL Great day, all while Ric slaved in the Veggie Garden and made us a yummy dinner. Have I said lately what a great guy I have.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

SSG, I am putting it up this weekend. Heading out to do some work in the nice cool morning but either later tonight or early tomorrow I will have the Swap threads up.

Sounds like a truly wonderful day Holly! :-) That's amazing that Josh was that enterprising at 10--up and out fishing on his own before the adults were up.

Yeah, sounds like you got a 'keeper' there in Ric--especially coming home to a yummy dinner that you did not have to make!! :-)

Hooray on finishing planting, Sally! At least for now, right? :-)

When I pulled into the driveway after dropping DD off at volleyball, I could see that the really tall sunflower by the bird feeder had bloomed, so I took a photo. It's about all I'll see of my garden today with the ankle, so figure I might as well enjoy it, right? :-)

Thumbnail by CatMint20906
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Catmint a bad sprain can be just as bad if not worst than a break. I was on crutches for 6 weeks after a sprained ankle, I had only been in a walking cast for 3 weeks when I broke it several years before.

well, sounds like I should brace myself for a long healing period. :-( Thanks for your kindness and supportive comments--it really does mean a lot! :-)

lol, ...as done planting as one can ever be. With Gita adding info on Begonias, I'm thinking of putting them in a larger pot...I love the planting/ potting process

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Done with planting Sally??? I planted a few things today but I still have one perennial to plant but I need to 'create' a space for it :) That will be saved for next weekend as I will have to remove some of my Zagreb Coreopsis.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Good gosh, is planting ever truly done? Every time I think so, I either get more plants, find a straggler pot, or finally think the stuff in the staging area is ready to go in the ground.

I was down in the turtle garden this morning and planted the few things still left from the sale I went to last weekend - the Japanese maple, two aconitums (monkshood), and five primula japonicas (Japanese primroses). While I was down there, I weeded and deadheaded. There aren't many weeds down there since I got the mulch down, and if I stay on it, it only takes about an hour to pull up the stray grass and maple and poplar seedlings. Found some kind of weird fungus growing on top of the soil/mulch by the turned over barrel planter. I scraped it up with the shovel, but should probably figure out what it is and treat it before it takes over.

Even at 9:00, it is really hot out there. I still need to plant half a flat of violets and 3 flats of hellebores, and two straggler pots that I thought I had already planted. More weeding needs to be done too. I'm taking a short break in the AC before heading back out.

Aspen, you've sure gotten a lot done before 9 am! But this is the time to do it--beat the afternoon heat. I agree about taking care of the weird fungus.

I love those AC breaks--I've taken to combining them with Edy's lime fruit bars. mmmm....

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Wow, you sure do have a lot of planting to do yet Terri! Sure is hot out there. Maybe we'll get a nice afternoon thunderstorm.

I should have said- Done planting the desperate little starter plants and things that were obviously in temporary situations. I never WANT to be done planting; I agree you just keep finding things to move, replace, thin out, divide for sharing....

Maybe I'm weird or lazy but I don't worry about mulch fungus. I view is as part of the natural process of decay that feeds on dead wood and won't hurt plants necessarily. Cup fungus and dog vomit fungus are two common ones. I like the cups, they actually look like tiny bird nests with eggs, but they might be the same as 'shotgun' fungus that can dirty your house? David probably knows.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Cup/Bird nest fungus = Artillery/Shotgun fungus, sorry Sally. We mulch with commercial compost rather than shredded wood so we don't see it here.

no sorry here, thanks for confirming!
I only use cypress mulch or pine needles near my house, due to past termites.

David, thanks for the fungus ID--I was able to look it up and learn something about it--found this very interesting brochure. https://www.marylandaviation.com/_media/pdf/communityrelations/opes/MulchGrowth.pdf
Harmful to plants or not, I'll continue to exercise the option of removing many of these simply because I find them unsightly. ;-)

David, I like your idea of mulching with compost rather than shredded wood--I've been thinking of doing that recently.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

OK, back in for another break - needed a cold shower to rinse all the dirt, grime, and sweat off. I got the half flat of violets and 2 flats of hellebores planted. Still need to do 1 more flat of hellebores and the two straggler pots. I think I'll sit on the porch and read for a while before motivating myself to finish the planting.

Sally, that fungus did look like dog vomit LOL - I wonder if that is what it is :) I'll have to google it and see.

Jeff, I really hope we do get some of the thunderstorms they are calling for this afternoon. Maybe it will cool it off some and get all those plugs watered that I just planted.

https://www.marylandaviation.com/_media/pdf/communityrelations/opes/MulchGrowth.pdf

hey, Aspen--glad to hear of the progress you're making! Thanks to David's ID, I found this brochure and it talks about the slime molds (ewwww). Is that similar to what you were seeing?

Well, I don't think I'm going to become a lover of the beauty of different molds... I understand they play a role in nature but I'll let them go play in Sally's yard instead... ;-)

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Cat, from that link, I think it is a slime mold, aka dog vomit LOL. Glad to know it isn't harmful, so I think just scraping it off with the shovel is good enough. I scrubbed the shovel in bleach before I used it again so at least I won't be spreading it around.

I would totally do the same, Aspen! I wonder if there are any molds that resemble hairballs for cat-owners to appreciate--LOL!

dog vomit and cat hairball mold ROFL!!!

It's a hot day, but I just NEED to get some hacking done on forsythia.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I get a fungus that looks like dog vomit all the time. I feel like it's been really bad this year. I used to let it go but now I try to scrape it up before it releases it's spores. It kind of freaks me out because it doesn't get wet. If you spray water on the spores, they just fly into the air. Weird stuff. I've been considering mulching more with pine bark because shredded hardwood mats together so bad that it repels water and that's no good.

This is amusingly written, but I was searching for whether pine bark is not prone to dog vomit mold
http://www.personal.psu.edu/sam21/dogvomit.htm

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Fall swap threads are up.

WOOT!

Quote from Sequoiadendron4 :
I get a fungus that looks like dog vomit all the time. I feel like it's been really bad this year. I used to let it go but now I try to scrape it up before it releases it's spores. It kind of freaks me out because it doesn't get wet. If you spray water on the spores, they just fly into the air. Weird stuff. I've been considering mulching more with pine bark because shredded hardwood mats together so bad that it repels water and that's no good.

I've been wondering about that too, Seq! Doesn't more mold left alone mean more spores released into the air, meaning even more mold?

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Catmint, et al, check out Verterans Compost
http://www.veterancompost.com/

From Combat To Compost

Veteran Compost is a Maryland based, veteran-owned business focused on turning food scraps into high quality organic compost. We provide food scrap collection, finished compost, and a host of other great products.

We're proud to have a number of claims to fame:

- We own and operate our own permitted composting facility

- We have a large scale worm composting operation

- Our compost is YARD WASTE FREE aka chemical free

- Our compost is 100% Organic and approved for Organic Farming

- 100% Wind Power used to make our compost

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

One would think that's the case Catmint. That link is funny how it's written Sally :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.