When to remove squash covers

Munster, IN(Zone 5b)

This is the first year I have tried covering my squash plants. I transplanted them and covered immediately. They are growing well and look much better than any I have grown. Healthy green leaves and lots of flower shoots. Most of the flowers are male, but today I think I saw a small female on one plant. Is it time to remove the covers? I haven't seen but a few small white moths so far, and I don't want to uncover them too soon. I am hoping to finally get a decent crop, without borer damage.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

I will keep the cover until the plants will not fit underneath anymore.
You will need to pollinate the female flowers yourself. It is very easy.

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

Borers are a red and black moth, not the white ones you are seeing.

Munster, IN(Zone 5b)

Thank you for your information - good to know.

drthor, I have hand pollinated once before, it was easy; but I don't remember exactly how I did it. Do you use a Qtip or a small brush?

Nicole, thanks I guess I have had them but don't recall ever seeing them. I certainly have had the results - which is what I'm hoping to avoid.

I guess I will leave the covers on a bit more as they seem to be growing fine underneath. I am a bit concerned about this cold spell that is predicted next week, due to the polar vortex. Do you think these summer weight covers will offer any protection? I do have the middle weight which would be warmer, but don't have any cover cut for the squash plants.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

martyR
no need to extra tools to pollinate you squash.
Pick a male flower, remove the petals around.
Stick the male flower inside the female, making sure that the pollens do touch.
Leave the male flower inside.
It really helps if you leave a long stem on the male flower. When the female flower closes, it will help you to see the stem ... so you don't pollinate again and risk to drop the female flower.
These are the only pictures I could find, but it will give you an idea.
Picture #2 female flower
Picture #1 female flower + male on top. My mistake was to keep the stem of the male too short ... I just didn't see the female flower until the very end (after I did harvest all the male to fry) ..
Normally I leave a much longer stem.

Good luck !

Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor
Munster, IN(Zone 5b)

That's simple and slick! Thanks for the tip.

Munster, IN(Zone 5b)

Hey you all - wanted to say thanks for the help. My zucchini is blossoming, gotten so big I removed the covers about a week or so ago. I have been hand pollening like dthor showed and have picked 3 zucchini already. Yippee. I think this will be the best harvest I've had ever. Thanks again so much. BTW - anything else I need to watch for now - Am I past the borers? I know that I have to watch for mildew but I believe that won't affect the fruits?

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

The SVB is always around.
My zucchini plants are still producing and alive.
I bought this trap from http://www.greatlakesipm.com/readytousekits.html and I think it is working.
I did trap a couple of SVB, but I keep finding SVB laying on top of squash leaves like they are under drugs ... they barely move, so I can squish them easily. I think that the "vapor tape" inside the trap is making them sick ...
Happy gardening

Thumbnail by drthor
Munster, IN(Zone 5b)

That trap looks good. My stems are looking clear, and I haven't seen but 1 borer - nowhere near the squash. I will keep this trap in mind, maybe purchase now, for next year. I think it's been too cool for many insects. I Hardily saw any Japanese beetles. I use that trap and it does work!
BTW here are my pictures

1. Patty pan squash
2. Zucchini
3.German stripe heirloom tomato - a whopper!
4.Cone flowers.

Thumbnail by martyR Thumbnail by martyR Thumbnail by martyR Thumbnail by martyR
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Wonderful ... I love the Coneflowers bed. This is my favorite flower.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.