Gillenia trifoliata ("Bowmans Root") Pink Profusion

(Zone 4b)

I have two of these plants I purchased this spring but have yet to put them in the ground as I am not quite sure where to put them. It would help if you could share experience with "Bowman's Root" re size and light aspect.

I guess first...do/did you like this plant in your garden?

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

I planted a Gillenia trifoliata in the Spring which I'd bought at a native plant sale, the species, not Pink Profusion. I had identified two growing wild near our cabin in NC and I like them very much. I planted mine here in a similar setting, which is to say Woodland Garden, bright shade/dappled sun.

I took the pics June 5 this year in NC. In the 2nd one is a not too successful attempt at showing both the Bowman's Root and the Native Azalea in the background. Your post got me to looking at pics of Pink Profusion and I may have to get me one of those. Good Luck

Thumbnail by back40bean Thumbnail by back40bean
(Zone 4b)

Thanks 'bean for your reply and the accompanying pictures.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Wow, nice pics! That second one looks so serene.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh man, I'm putting this plant on my 'wants' list for sure. I'll have to try to get it for spring of 2015. My one shade bed is totally lacking color right now and could use a early to mid summer bloomer. Thanks!

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks, Sequoiadendron 4, the place is certainly serene and for that I can take no credit. The near photo is on our land but the background is mostly in Forest Service land. Of course we like that part, too.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

So is that growing native in the forest?

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

The Gillenia trifoliata and the Rhododendron calendulaceum are on land we own but they indeed grew native in the forest. There is another Gillenia trifoliata nearby but on Forest Service land. That is the largest of several Native Azaleas nearby. We didn't realize what the Azaleas were until seeing them in bloom. Here are a couple more pics of the Azalea. Sorry, I know it's off topic for the thread.

Thumbnail by back40bean Thumbnail by back40bean
Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Oh Bean-I don't think it is 'off topic'. Native habitat, plant associates and garden habitat are all such useful information. The Azalea is lovely. Mother Nature is such a Gardener!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Wow, that azalea is gorgeous. I'd be hard pressed not to 'steal' one for my own garden :)

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I get pink profusion a few years ago (picture is from '09).
I really liked the subtle pink coloration, so have bought a couple more since then.
But for some reason, only the first one was successful. I don't know why.
I usually blame it on too much shade, since my property is so wooded,
but even when I moved to sunnier spot, still hasn't done anything.
It's a pity, since I'm quite fond of the flower.

Thumbnail by Weerobin
(Zone 4b)

'robin,

I am trying to determine where to plant this PP

- How large approximately does your "successful" PP get?

- Do you think it can take full sun in a zone 5 climate?

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

My sole survivor is about 2ft tall and in a lightly wooded setting. It's still a pretty scrawny plant. I guess you'd call it dappled shade. Maybe it would do better with more sun, but my wooded lot has little opportunity to test out that theory.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I thought this was a full shade plant?

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

I have had 2 of these plants for quite a few years now, both in part shade conditions.
The one in the front garden suffered a sudden wilt last year but has come back this year and self seeded a bit. It has " walked " itself forward to catch more sun.
I really like the lacy leaves besides the white star shaped flowers. They are easy to recognize when they self seed.
The one in the back garden is at the feet of a native honeysuckle, Lonicera sempervirens.
I noticed a hummingbird visited both the Bowmans root and the native honeysuckle.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Bowman's root gets 3 1/2 feet tall in my zone 3 garden in part shade.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Ok, good to know. I think I might get two and plant one in more shade than the other and see what happens. It's definitely going on the want list though.

(Zone 4b)

I have heard anecdotally that this plant perfoms very well in lots of sun in a zone 5 and lower.

Markham, Canada

Just thought I would chime in although rather late. I have two of these plants, one in full shade and one in a fairly sunny spot but not full sun (5 hours of late morning /early afternoon sun). Both do really well. The plant in sun position is much larger and blooms very well. The plant in shade is smaller but blooms nicely and also lights up the shade garden.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks for your input, that helps me decide for next season.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.