Help ID new daylily that just randomly appeared

Newburgh, IN

I'm not sure exactly how to post all pictures (I added an album if that helps). I have had several daylilies for many years. I have what I call the typical "wild" orange daylily but it's like a double/triple instead of typical single. I have the double/triple "Peach Sorbet" which is peach all way through without an "eye". I was given another daylily probably 8 years ago without a name. It is similar to the post below by enidcandles entitled "any clue to what I might be". this year, however, a completely new daylily has just appeared out of nowhere. It has the coloring and eye of enidcandles "any clue" (peach with a darker eye) but is doubled. I will attempt to upload them. I have posted 2 pictures of the "surprise" daylily: One full and one close up picture and they are the first and last pictures posted. Any idea as to what it is or how it showed up in my yard?

Thumbnail by cherylrs Thumbnail by cherylrs Thumbnail by cherylrs Thumbnail by cherylrs Thumbnail by cherylrs
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Your surprise double looks like Big Kiss, if that is the pink one you are talking about.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

That is Big Kiss. BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

If the "surprise" emerged out nowhere how could it be a named cultivar? My guess is it either came from a seedling or it is a sport.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Sometimes when you purchase daylilies, especially if the cultivars are planted closely together, you may get more than one variety. I reread the post and she was given a plant. Now that plant could have had another plant attached with it and it now is large enough to bloom. Also that double may have bloomed single last year and this year it is blooming double, making Cheryls think she has a different daylily. I still say it is Big Kiss. That is a very distinctive looking daylily.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

You may be right. It does seem odd to me that it took eight years to bloom.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

8 years???? Then it may be a seedling.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.