Impressive Showy Planting ID

East Bridgewater, MA

This monster had long white feather-like flower petals in the spring. They were so abundant it was hard to see any leaves at all. I haven't made it back there until today, but I think there's enough to ID this exotic specimen.

These were taken with my Ipod, so I apologize for their quality.

Thanks!

Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

"Long white feather-like flower petals in the spring" (and noting that it had plainly opposite simple foliage arrangement) is enough to identify Chionanthus virginicus.

Those were perfectly fine images, though, of this native species...

East Bridgewater, MA

You definitely got it VV. My wife has a pic on the Ipad I have to post here.
I love finding new stuff, thanks!

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Yes, the discovery of new plants is truly one of lifes great pleasures. My two Fringe Trees came through winter in perfect condition and flowered nicely. This could be a ridiculous question, but when has that ever stopped me: I know Fringe Trees flower young, but do they fruit at an early age? Is it even possible for plants to flower early, but not produce fruit? Can they have same sex success?

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

I believe you have to have a male tree and a female tree to get fruit for fringe tree...

http://thedailysouth.southernliving.com/2013/04/28/fringe-tree-the-best-native-nobody-grows/

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

I could be in trouble if mine gets as big as the one in that photo. I doubt it will since were considerably north of its native range. The link article lists as z3, which I think is a bit optimistic. It might survive a few years, but -40F...

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

The male plants will flower annually - and never have fruit.

It is probably possible for a generally female-flowered plant to have a few male flowers - I think that is termed being polygamo-dioecious - and thus set some fruit without benefit of a separate male-flowered plant being around.

I selected male and female plants in a desolate winter Wisconsin (is that redundancy in terms) nursery field one December. These were relatively small plants (3-5' tall), but the female plants were resplendent with fruit. Lots of suitors about for the randy little harlots....

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Actually, I did know they are dioecious, but what I'm curious to know is if the female will produce fruit as soon as she starts flowering, assuming there's a suitable male pollinator. In other words, is this a function not only of flowering and pollination, but also age, size, etc.?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.