Red Pine

East Bridgewater, MA

I think I found a stand of Red Pines. The trees were so enormous I could get a good view of the needles, but I got the cone.

Did I ID this correctly?

Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Yep!

Nice trees, too.

Resin

East Bridgewater, MA

Thanks! I like this species a bit more than most for some reason.

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Quote from neefman :
Thanks! I like this species a bit more than most for some reason.

Have you been to the Great Lakes region? They can be a vey beautiful tree. I think they're especially nice at a fairly young age, say 15-20 years, and then again when they hit around the 150 year point?

Quote from Pseudo :
I think they're especially nice at a fairly young age, say 15-20 years, and then again when they hit around the 150 year point?

That actually applies to a surprisingly large number of trees!

Resin

East Bridgewater, MA

Quote from Pseudo :

Have you been to the Great Lakes region? They can be a vey beautiful tree. I think they're especially nice at a fairly young age, say 15-20 years, and then again when they hit around the 150 year point?

I went to Minnesota and Lake Superior last year, but I mostly saw Balsam Firs, Mount and Striped Maple, Mountain Ash and Red Spruce.

Red Pine was planted down by Cape Cod in Plymouth MA but their trying to get rid of it now and let native Pitch Pine dominate once again.

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

P. resinosa is definitely a zone 3-4 pine. Zones 2 & 5 are tolerable, but I don't think I've ever seen a really nice Red Pine in z5/6. I'm sure Maine has some nice specimens, and I'll get to check them out first hand next week. :)

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

My dad (transplant from Wisconsin) planted a handful at home in Nicholasville, KY back in the early '70s. They lasted well into the 2000s before being taken down after severe ice storm damage. They were probably 40' trees when removed.

Silver Hill (where I grew up) is a high dry property in the middle of town, where it is shallow to limestone bedrock. I'm sure that contributed to their long term survival.

Red Pine is virtually non-existent in KY otherwise, to my knowledge.

East Bridgewater, MA

Quote from Pseudo :
P. resinosa is definitely a zone 3-4 pine. Zones 2 & 5 are tolerable, but I don't think I've ever seen a really nice Red Pine in z5/6. I'm sure Maine has some nice specimens, and I'll get to check them out first hand next week. :)

You should definitely see some Red Pines in Maine. Have fun!

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Did you ever find silver in Silver Hill?

You'd have to ask Judge Phillips, who built the place.

It is on the National Register of Historic Places, and it is the birthplace of Dr. Lena Madesin Phillips (the judge's daughter) who was instrumental in founding national and international organizations of Business & Professional Women's Clubs during the early twentieth century.

You could look it up...

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/456571/Lena-Madesin-Phillips

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

That's interesting. I'll pass this bit of trivia on to my spouse; it's right up her alley.

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

I think my pine tree is a Red Pine too (Pinus resinosa). It is very healthy, but I think someone topped it when it was young, as it has multiple leaders. I don't know how old it is, but seems very unlikely to be anywhere near the 100 year mark, as this was probably second growth forest then, and they are not native here. I live in zone 8, but it is cool and dry in the summer here, not like zone 8 in the south.
This is a very nice pine tree. The cones are not large, and are not prickly, so if they fall on you it is no big deal.

Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil

more photos, showing needles in bundles of two, an immature cone, and the drying pollen cones.

Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil

Quote from mlmlakestevens :
I think my pine tree is a Red Pine too (Pinus resinosa).

It's a European Black Pine Pinus nigra - note the subtly different cones, buff-coloured (nut-brown in Red Pine), with thicker, relatively larger scales.

Resin

aaagh!
This is so hard!
Thank you Resin.
Oh well, it is still a nice tree. But dang it, I wanted the bark to get reddish.
I have some tree keys but they often do not include the exotics that people plant.
Do y'all have any recommendations for keys?

Anything by Ron Lanner of California (Resin's arch-enemy)...

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

MLM, if you want red bark, get yourself one of these:
P. densiflora Umbraculifera. This guy's bark has character!

Thumbnail by Weerobin

Quote from ViburnumValley :
Anything by Ron Lanner of California (Resin's arch-enemy)...

Not an enemy at all! ;-)

Resin

All in good tongue-in-cheek fun...

I fondly remember long distance banter between the two of you on other forums - usually over the finer points of all things Coniferae. Inspiringly opinionated - and never dull.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.