Beech, Elm, Oak?

East Bridgewater, MA

This one has me confused. The leaves look like Beech and Elm combined. But their too big for Elm and the bark doesn't look at like a Beech.

Any ideas on this one?

Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Definitely an elm; not sure which species though.

Resin

East Bridgewater, MA

This is where VV chastises me for not getting better picks... Where are you my Kentucky friend?

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Those are perfectly good images - just not enough of them. Where's the image of the whole tree, closeups of buds, the trunk, the context of the plant's location?

And which Elm are those leaves too big for? They are just the right size for American Elm (Ulmus americana) or Red/Slippery Elm (Ulmus rubra) - and rather classic, in fact.

A little examination is in order. Look at the leaves in your second and third pics. Note the shape of these leaves - especially the appearance of the leaf blade's base (where it is connected to the leaf petiole.

Notice how the sides of the leaf base don't line up? That is termed oblique, and is pretty standard for elms - making it really easy to separate this genus from many other common trees that you will come across.

About now, you will be wondering why you summoned me to the forum...

Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

That's why! I just had a learning moment! I can see what you just described. Woo hoo!!! Now to remember. Oblique elms..oblique elms...

East Bridgewater, MA

I never knew that either! Well explained.

Slippery Elm isn't supposed to be in my part of MA and i don't see the long tip associated with that species. is it safe to say this is good old American Elm? it's nice to see it healthy.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Quoting:
Slippery Elm isn't supposed to be in my part of MA...

And how long has human settlement been around that neck of the woods? A week or several centuries?

Don't count out transplantation of species by good gardeners many generations before you, and thus naturalization of this and many other species - good AND bad.

The best way to be certain of identity of species like this is by flower and seed. Both species mentioned flower and fruit in spring, so you have probably missed this key feature for this year. Unless you are willing to scrounge around in the bushes/weeds for slight tiny wafers of seeds...

It is not correct to assume that because there is a disease associated with a species of tree, then no tree can ever grow and/or be healthy. You should read up more about Dutch Elm Disease (appropriately contracted as DED), how it behaves in the environment, and what/where/when/how it affects species of Ulmus.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.