New purchase don't know what it is

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Seems I am getting another addiction...lol I posted under cactus and someone suggested I post under here. I am really attracted to these odd looking guys. I know NOTHING obviously about these. What is it? and I assume it doesn't need much water since it looks like it stores alot of water in the ball. What kind of exposure etc?
Sort of reminds me of my buddah belly

Thank you in advance. I love looking at all the pics of the cool stuff you all have on this forum.

Thumbnail by happgarden
Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

I don't have this one so I don't know what it is...but I must warn you that there is no cure for this addiction. :-)

ROFL....I was afraid of that Momlady... thanks but the warning is too late I am afraid.

Porter , TX(Zone 8b)

Hi.
The plant looks like Jatropha cathartica, also called Jatropha berlandieri. I am not sure which is the correct name, but I have always called it cathartica. Hope this helps.

It sure does, I am not sure how to care for it, so this will give me a start.

Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

I don't grow this plant but there is an entry in the Pachyforms book... the plant is a warm weather grower, dormant in winter (very light water during this time). Full sun to 30% shade. I would use a fairly rocky mix (50% pumice, perlite or equivalent).

It's sort of unusual in that it's a North American native (Texas/Mexico).

Thanks for the info I haven't transplanted it yet. Probably next week, looking for just the right pot to put it in.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.