What's wrong with my blooms?

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Two fans of the same plant in different locations have bloomed like this today. Could it be because we have been having a lot of rain lately? I think it might be Real Wind that I got from Roycroft last year.

Thumbnail by iowhen
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

That is a spent bloom. They only bloom for a day and then die. That's normal.

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Hemlady, they were buds yesterday, and this pic is from early morning. So can they be spent after only 2 hours or so? I'm used to seeing spent blooms close and then wither. These are wide open.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Has it been extremely hot where you are??? It really looks like the bloom melted from the heat or else it may have opened up at night, and may be nocturnal.

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

It has not been above 90. I will have to take a peek when I get home from work tonight.

G

Normal, IL

The dog did it. :(

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

I had half a bloom do this same thing last year. I have no idea what causes this. It's never happened again.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Hmmmm. That's a tough one to figure out then.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Hemlady, Linda from New Mexico had a half bloom like this, also. We never did figure it out. I have wondered if it's insect damage of some kind. I'm trying to find a picture of my bloom from last year. I'll post it if I find it.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Well I never knew until I saw it this year but those green bugs, we call them katydids, eat the pollen in your daylilies. I saw one actually doing it the other day.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

That's funny you mention them, they have been all over my daylily blooms this year. I have enough pollen, they can have some. They are bug eaters,I thought.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I hadn't heard that they were bug eaters but if so they are welcome.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

I looked them up. Lol Some are plant eaters, but most are predatory bugs.

Do you get clear wing moths? They look like a cross between a hummingbird and a bee. Pictured below. It's flying in front of the 3rd liatris from the left. They are so cute!

Thumbnail by taylordaylily Thumbnail by taylordaylily Thumbnail by taylordaylily
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Do you mean Hummingbird Moths??? If so, I had one the other day. They are fascinating to watch.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.