Any thought about growing fox tail lily in the Midwest?

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

This lily sounds so amazing, I'm wondering if a person could plant it deep enough to overwinter it in the ground on its own in zone 6. Anyone experienced with the fox tail lily? The pictures of this lily make it something I want to try and have success with. Could use some good pointers??

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

The Chicago Botanical Garden has some good pointers.

http://www.chicagobotanic.org/plantinfo/foxtail_lily

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Thank you, I'll check that out.

New Athens, IL(Zone 6b)

Foxtail lilies grow well in Southern Illinois with no special care. I had some labeled Shelford Mix that bloomed for over 20 years in St. Clair county, IL. I mulched them the first year until they were established, after that they received no care and did fine. I left them behind when I moved to a new home, but intend to start some here next year.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Thanks for that tidbit of your experience in Southern Illinois with the foxtail lily. I have just got to give them a try. They are so beautiful and such a novilty. Maybe I should look for the Shelford Mix. Any suggestions where - especially - to get the bulbs?

New Athens, IL(Zone 6b)

My original Foxtail lilies came from McClure and Zimmerman. I have ben disappointed recently with plants from them and am preparing an order to send to John Scheepers, Inc. I have been very pleased with their service and bulbs. Shelford hybrids are a form of E. bungei which Scheepers carry. I think I am going to try a newer variety this time called E. ruiter-Hybrids. I have their catalog but their website is www.johnscheepers.com.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

I am familiar with Scheepers, - I will check them out.

Thanks

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.